Lat Moves
Create Post

Thread: Lat Moves

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Lat Moves

Marines,

I'm currently in the DEP and am slated to leave July 8, 2013. I recently put in my job requests with Intelligence as number one. I'm wondering if lat-moving is easier if the move stays inside one field. For example, would it be more plausible to move from 0231 to 0211 than it is to move from 1812 to 0211? I apologize if I sound like a super-wannabe, but I am very interested in Counterintelligence and that's what I'm working towards, as I think I would be good at it and it sounds very interesting.

Thanks Marines

A lot of 0231's want to go CI. The advantage you'll have is that your TS/SCI is already out of the way. As an 1812, you'll have to go through the SSBI from step one.

You'll find out that the CI school is very intense, and very specific in what they want from you. It's a long course, and the drop rate is extremely high.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the info, and I understand it's very difficult. All I can say is if accepted I'll do my best and I don't plan on dropping out of any training I may be assigned to.

On a separate note and purely out of curiosity, what do counterintelligence people do during large, conventional wars? All the descriptions I found about counterintelligence regard their duties when working against terrorist organizations and insurgencies.

Thanks Marines.

CI... uh, they do CI things, don't worry about it. If you get to 0231 school you'll learn everything you need to know. They're primarily HUMINT collectors, that's all I'll comment on that.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Got it, thanks for the answer.

Lateral moves are normally made in conjunction with reenlistment and usually as an incentive to stay in (that is, you may not be crazy about your current job but would consider reenlisting if you could move into a job you're more interested in).

There are strict rules about making a lateral move and timing is a major factor. At the time you want to apply for a lateral move, your current MOS must be overpopulated and the one you want to move to underpopulated. They will not let you move from one overpopulated to another overpopulated or one underpopulated to another underpopulated for obvious reasons.

Another thing to consider is promotion potential. When you move into your new MOS, you will be competing for promotions with those new peers. But, who has the experience and technical expertise in that field? They do...not you. It is only fair they get promoted before you do. So, you may have your shiney new MOS but basically, you're starting all over again and your promotion potential will suffer accordingly. Another thing to consider when contemplating a lateral move. The grass is not always greener on the other side and sometimes you're better off just staying where you are. Or, be careful what you ask for because you may just get it!

P.S., when PNW2011 said the drop rate at CI school is extremely high he did not mean students were dropping out on their own; he meant they were dropped from the course (or flunked out). Nobody goes to MOS school (or any other professional education course) planning to drop out. The attrition rate at MSG school is one of the highest in the USMC but to go there you must be a volunteer for the MSG program so safe to say nobody plans on dropping out...it just happens.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Okay, thanks for the info, it's much clearer now. Also, I now see what he meant when he said "drop rate,' and I did not mean to seem condescending or disrespectful, I simply meant I would only leave a school if I was removed by the command.

No problem; did not take it as being disrespectful/condescending. It's a legit question.

Bottom line is, lat moves are not automatic and do not happen that often because the stars have to align just right and at the right time. Too many variables outside your control to count on happening. Also, as I mentioned, many would prefer to switch MOS's but do not want to jeapardize their promotion cycle by starting out fresh in a new field with no experience. One has to weigh the benefits of moving or staying put.

Well for starters, to even be accepted you go through in-depth security investigations, on top of the SSBI you already conducted to get your TS/SCI. Then you go up on a board to pretty much determine if they like you or not. You can be turned away for simply having the wrong personality type. I know little about the actual school, but I do know they write LOTS of papers. If they can't turn out good papers and conduct successful interrogations, they will be dropped. There is a lot more to it than that though. If 0231's are the jacks of all trade in the analysis world, 0211's are the same when it comes to collections, and on top of that they also have a CI mission.

Thread Information