Lose Weight?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lose Weight?

Registered User Free Member moose's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Lose Weight?

Everyone's been telling me "expect to lose alot of weight" while at recruit training. Just how much can one excpect to lose, if they are not over or under the current height/weight standards. For Marines just out of recruit training, how much weight did you lose?

Moose

My guesstimation it'll kinda depend on your body fat percentage. If you are in good shape I wouldn't think you'd lose as much as someone who meets the minimum standards to enlist. again I haven't btdt just my guesstimation.

It depends, some people actually gain weight... kinda weird. If you are really skinny, you will probably gain a few pounds of muscle. I would say the average recruit loses 15 pounds. I weighed right at 200 when i went and left at 185. I have managed to stay at 185 for the past 7 months.

Lake0300
    Guest Free Member
    roughly 10lbs is what i'm told...

I went to MCRD San Diego June 1985 weighing 167. Left 3 months later weighing 187. Three squares a day and some regular PT did a number on me.

A few years down the road (1992) I went to OCS at Quantico. Dropped 10 lbs during that 6 week event.

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I keep hearing the same thing. Right now I'm a lightweight, I'm on the lower end of the accepted weight scale for men.

I'm guessing that I'll probably come out heavier, just from the meals and regular PT. People keep arguing with me and saying "Naw, man, you're going to loose weight, trust me."

Just leaves me kind of confused... I don't need to be any skinnier *laughs*

Judging from the different responses, you can count on gaining weight in Recruit Training if needed (or losing it if needed). Shouldn't sweat bulking up for Recruit Training.
    (I entered Recruit Training at 6'2" & 155 lbs. Graduated a little taller & 180 lbs.)

well i attended marine corps recruit training in san diego from june 3 2003 to aug 29 2003. i lost lost 20 pounds and i was pretty lean to begin with. one marine in my platoon lost 40 lbs. its all what u put into it. some people gain weight too. either way you'll come out of mcrd in a lot better shape and a man.

Dan Clark
    PVT/USMC

Lake0300
    Guest Free Member
    buddy of mine who just came back about 2 months ago (Private Lyle Sly), kid was skinny as a twig when he left - told me the Drill Instructors used to tell him they were gonna lock him in the chow hall for the remainder of boot camp. LoL. But anyways, he actually came back 10lbs lighter, we used to jokingly hold up blades of grass to him and go "SLY! WHERE'D YOU GO MAN? HES GONE! WHERE'D HE GO? HE DISAPPEARED!" LoL.

I think it just depends on the person, how much you eat in the time alotted to you. *shrugs* -Lake

Registered User Free Member ktriplett's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I lost 15 pounds when I went to recruit training.

I went to boot weighing 157,came out at 172,same waist size,but could'nt get my trou' past my thighs,seen guys in the pig platoon leave our co. and come back to graduate with us.No matter,the size you have the heart and spirit of a Marine now,your mind will take over for your body,just be wise how you put it to use-Sempers

i went in 135, a size 8
    graduated at 138, size 4.
    didn't lose the weight, just lost the last bit of fat .

Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    The husband lost 30 pounds while he was at boot camp. Went from 208 to 178. You should have seen some of the guys who were diet recruits all through boot camp... if they needed a diet before, they certainly did not by graduation day. They were RAILS!!

Registered User Free Member 2ndplacesucks's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I am sure I am in weight bracket, 5'4" 168lbs
    what are the requirements??

Credits
    Savings
    2nd place, you need to start reading the threads...and asking the recruiter...all requirements, if not previously reported here, are available through him.

Thread Information