GySgt Tim Hamler
Create Post

GySgt Tim Hamler

Received this message from TWS just now

Dear Sgt Steve McCarty, **************** is very sorry to relay the sad news that your Brother, Hamler, Tim, GySgt USMC(Ret) has passed away. The following is the information that we received: A 42-year-old Macomb Township man died late Thursday night or early Friday morning in an awful mishap: his vehicle crushed him while he was working on it. Timothy Hamler was found dead pinned under his vehicle in his attached garage about 4:30 a.m. Friday by a neighbor who became suspicious when he saw Hamler’s garage door open and light on, Macomb County Sheriff Anthony Wickersham said. The neighbor had noticed Hamler working on the vehicle about 9 to 9:30 p.m. Thursday at the home on Brookside North Drive, near 21 Mile and Card roads, the sheriff said. “Somehow the jack flipped and the car fell on him,” Wickersham said. “No foul play is suspected.” Officers believe he may have been working on the alternator in the front area of the vehicle, he said. No one else was home at the time as he has been living alone. The incident shook up his estranged wife, Tammi Hamler, with whom he was going through an amicable divorce after a long marriage, said her attorney, Clinton Township-based Richard Marcil. “She’s distraught and in shock, even though they’ve been apart for a while,” he said. Hamler, who had two children, has worked at General Dynamics the past four years, according to a General Dynamics spokesperson. Marcil said Hamler had served in the military and for a time lived with his wife in Kentucky and Virginia.

Tim was one of the finest SNCO's that I've ever had the pleasure of working with and knowing over the years. He was a great mentor and one of the best Tankers I've ever known. His knowledge and expertise was a example for others to follow.

I first met Tim when I arrived in Okinawa in 2004. We worked together for years in the S-3 shop at our unit. Those times were a big step for me as I was adjusting from being a line NCO to filling the shoes of SNCO's at the battalion head-shed. Most of my early management skills were a direct result of the mentorship I received from Tim during those years.

It's unfortunate that Tim had to go out this way, he had so much to offer and I wish I could have kept in touch with him more after life in the Marine Corps. In the end Tim died doing what he loved most, working with cars. He was a huge Viper fan and always dreamed of having one.

Semper Fi Gunny, see you in the next life.

Wow, I am shocked and very saddened to find this, right under my nose. I was doing some googling on old Marines I served with when I shot competitively and ran into this post. Tim and I worked together as Sgt's for a few years at the Dam Neck Rifle range. I just spoke to him not long ago on TWS. I can't believe he is dead. Man, what a shock. RIP Hamler.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sorry Brothers for your loss.
    Sounds like a Great Man and a Great Marine.
    Prayers Outbound to all.

RIP Gunny...

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    My sympathy brother,
    not to be crass or anything in a time like this
    but what kind of car exactly is it that you work on the alternator
    from underneath it up on a jack??
    Again feel free to cuss me out if this is out of bounds,
    I am just curious, the article said something about
    "no foul play is suspected".

Quote Originally Posted by The DUKE View Post
    what kind of car exactly is it that you work on the alternator
    I thought the same thing myself, who knows. Rarely are news reports, especially initial ones - right. He was a car junkie so who knows what he was doing under there. What a fricken shame, i can't get his face out of my mind. He was a Distinguished Rifle and Pistol Marksman - what a straight shooter he was. RIP Buddy.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Tim Hamler

Quote Originally Posted by The DUKE View Post
    My sympathy brother,
    not to be crass or anything in a time like this
    but what kind of car exactly is it that you work on the alternator
    Again feel free to cuss me out if this is out of bounds,
    I am just curious, the article said something about
    "no foul play is suspected".
    He had a Mercedes SLK. Not sure where the alt is located on those vehicles. His was also an older version, say around 2002-2005 or so. From what I know, one of his tires was also removed... but hard to confirm. Don't know why you would need to do that to get to what he was working on. Several are suspicious of the "no foul play is suspected". I wish more would look into this. His phone, computer and other things are missing... He was an excellent marksman. A good man. His life was too short. RIP Tim and may there justice done and all exposed. You are remembered by many.

Tim was my special friend, he was working on his Ford 500 replacing the alternator which was located in a difficult spot underneath and near the passenger front wheel. No foul play was noted as it was thought that someone might have kicked the jack , but that was not true. Tim was in a hurry and in his haste didn't taken precautions. His death was a great loss to all of us.

Thread Information