Language Training for 02xx's?
Create Post

Exclamation Language Training for 02xx's?

Good afternoon,
    I have been in the DEP for over a year now thanks to some unfortunate circumstances regarding my ship date and a fever. I had a linguist contract, which I believe was designated HL. Unfortunately, in e brief time when I was discharged from the DEP and when I was redeped, I lost my contract. I am aware recruiters get their new job listings in October, and I have a chance to recover a new linguist contract. If that fails, I was wondering if your run of the mill 0231s get to go to the DLI. I was reading and gathering information from other sources indicating that 0231s with qualifying DLAB scores would be able to go to the DLI. I scored a 121 and would very much like to the opportunity to undergo language training as it seems both beneficial to myself and the Marine Corps. Does anybody have any information in regards of whether this information I received is true? Thank you very much and have a nice day.

Most likely not, why would they do that your PMOS would be 0231 not linguist those schools are not cheap it is over a year and a half of schooling.

I was going off of the information acquired from 0231Marines post in the sticky of this forum. Just simply hoping someone with experience in the 02 field could verify.

First things first, linguist contract is DC, not HL. Just pointing that out so you make sure to pay attention to what you're signing and don't get screwed. Second, you'll sign a DD code now to get into the intel field and just get any intel job in general, excluding linguist. From there you'll get orders to Virginia or Pensacola following MCT. You, much like I did, are probably assuming you'll be a 0231 just because you went DD. Let me be the one to inform you, you are just as likely (based on needs of the Corps) to be a 0261, 2621, 2631 or 2651.

As for going to DLI after completing one of those schools, it's possible but do not hold your breath. I myself got a 122 on the DLAB and will not be going to DLI. From what I've heard during my time around NCO's/SNCO's/instructors within the intel community, if you try hard enough you may get the opportunity to go eventually later in your enlistment/career, but you won't be doing it straight out of school. You will hit the fleet and do YOUR PMOS that you've already been trained for. If the Marine Corps at some later date decides they want a more well rounded Marine, so be it.

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Failla View Post
    First things first, linguist contract is DC, not HL. Just pointing that out so you make sure to pay attention to what you're signing and don't get screwed
    thanks for the response, I really appreciate it. When me and my recruiter signed the HL contract it's description was cryptologic linguist with 10k bonus. There is now a DC opening at my RS and he says I shouldn't take it, because it's not what I think it is. What do I do? He seems so confident that DC isnt a real linguist, like someone who goes through the DLI and San Angelo, but he wanted me to bea linguist and fought for the HL contract in the first place. Am I walking into a trap or what's going on?

I realized after I posted that HL was probably linguist with the bonus, but when I tried to edit the 5 minute limit had already passed..

DC is indeed linguist. Obviously you don't get to choose a specific language, but it will get you to DLI. From there your language will be chosen based on your DLAB score; with yours you would likely get a Cat IV language. Now it sounds like your recruiter fortunately is looking out for your best interest if he fought to get you the linguist w/ bonus contract, but I'm confused why he's saying DC isn't a "real linguist." Being a recruiter I'm sure he knows what he's talking about and knows which jobs are possible from each code, hell there should be a list in the office that will shows each possible MOS from DC, or any contract code, which you may try asking about. But, from my experience, (or at least the way it was a little over a year ago) DC is ONLY crypto-linguist, the only thing left undecided once you're DC is the specific language you'll be assigned. And yes, following DLI you will go to San Angelo. Only alternate route would be if you fail the course at DLI and/or don't pass the DLPT once you've completed the course. Should that happen, they'll most likely keep you in the 2600 field and send you to CID Corry Station where you'll go to school to be a 2621. All SIGINT out of Corry Station now go to San Angelo as well following graduation.

Kinda digressed there, but just wanting to give as much information as I can. I know I was extremely curious about all this when I was in the DEP waiting to leave. To answer your question more directly: Unless things have changed in the past year, I'm 99.9% positive DC is only linguist and WILL get you to DLI. Obviously you won't have the bonus this time like you would have with HL, but if it's what you really want I'm sure that's no issue to you. Again, ask your recruiter for that list of the MOS's that can come from DC. As long as it says 26xx linguist, and/or specifically has 2671, 2673, 2674, 2676 and nothing else in there, you'll get orders to DLI.

I cannot thank you enough for this information, Marine. You are absolutely a life saver. I'm going to tell him that I want the DC contract. I'm not really sure why he says it's not a real linguist either, he said I would probably be doing ELINT or Signals Intel Analyst. I don't think he's right on his info, but I feel like you, being an actual Marine in the field would be more knowledgeable. I'd rather go to the DLI for sure, instead of maybe going in the 02 field. Hopefully I will be able to someday lat move into 0211 from a 267x. But one step at a time, right? Better not get ahead of myself.

Thread Information