What's a day like with the MOS of COMCAM, Motor Transport, Mechanic, and MP?
Closed Thread
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

What's a day like with the MOS of COMCAM, Motor Transport, Mechanic, and MP?

I'm a female and am planning on picking my MOS soon for the Marine Corps. I have already talked to a recruiter and just need to pick my job I want. I have done research online about the jobs, but I want to hear what a day is like from other Marines, not just the descriptions on the Military.com.

I am a hands on person and would definitely not enjoy an office job. I have 4 MOS's that I have narrowed down...

COMCAM - Photographer
    Motor Transport
    Mechanic
    or Military Police (eventually a dog handler)

I am open for suggestions though. If any of you Marines have any advice, tips, or opinions, please say so. It's appreciated. Thank you.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Go Intel if you can.
    You'll be glad you did, in the Marine Corps and the Private Sector later on in life $$$$

0431.... load any any thing that rolls, floats, or is capable of flying

Credits
    Savings
    I don't mean to sound impatient, but I've noticed a lot of Marines have at least looked at my post, but 2 only commented. Do I not have enough information on my profile, or something else wrong to where I'm not getting comments? This site is a little confusing. Thank you.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Many people read these posts but do not reply because they have nothing useful to add to the discussion, mainly because they don't know those MOS' you've mentioned.

I was a truck driver and a military policeman. Both are hands-on jobs, although MPs have more paperwork to do just like all cops. Mechanic of course is hands-on and dirty. ComCam is a little more of an office type job except when on assignments.

Your selection is pretty widespread and the jobs are difficult to compare.

Credits
    Savings
    Ok, thank you for your reply.

I understand that most jobs have paperwork on the side, and that fine. I just couldn't see myself doing it all day every day or sitting at a computer. As far as the mechanic goes, I wouldn't mind getting dirty. What about being a truck driver? What was it like?

I just don't want to sign up for something and then find out a hate it and can't switch.

Also, do you have any recommendations?

Thank you.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I didn't like being a truck driver, although it got me one of the best assignments I ever had in the Corps. I preferred MP and police work became my civilian career.

Essentially you are assigned to drive the vehicles you've been licensed for on whatever details you're given. You also perform low-level maintenance on any assigned vehicles (oil changes, tire changes, light bulb replacements, touch-up painting, bolt and screw tightening, level of fluids checks, etc). You learn to drive in convoys and actions on contact, etc. Often, drivers are trained on the M-2 .50 cal machine gun (these days probably the Mk-19 and M-240 as well).

I don't know what the casualty rates of drivers are these days, I know in Vietnam drivers had one of the higher rates behind infantry. Most of the instructors in my driver's course had Purple Hearts.

Avoid motor-t if possible, and avoid MP.

I also second doing intel if you're qualified ;D

Also word on the street is that 0431's are losing their MOS.

Credits
    Savings
    I wouldn't mind doing Motor T at all. I'd probably enjoy it, even though it sounds a little more dangerous. But then another thing is that I'd want a job that can benefit me when I get out of the Marine Corps. So I'm trying to find some middle ground.

A lot of people have told me to look into Intel and Logistics because of the money and opportunities after I get out. But to me it seems like those jobs would be more paperwork and sort of boring.

To me, as silly as it may seem, I want to be out doing something, as close to the wire as I can, because I know I can't be Infantry because I'm female...

I have to be doing something with my hands, moving, but want the job to benefit me when I get out also. I'm finding it hard to find something that meets those 3 criteria.

What's being a motor t operator like?

You drive a truck from point A to point B, sometimes point C will get thrown in there.

What's being a motor t mechanic like?

You fix the trucks that the operator breaks.

I'm not sure what extra information you're seeking from us. A driver drives things, a mechanic fixes things, comcam takes pictures of things. MP's are blue falcons. Every job, infantry included involves paperwork, the only jobs that revolve around paperwork alone are administrative ones.

Remember that you are joining a peace-time Marine Corps, so start thinking about your opportunities here. As ComCam you have the opportunity to travel anywhere the FMF goes and you get to document important events. I'm an intel guy, but before I joined I did what ComCam does on the civilian side. I worked as a camera operator producing live TV, and also shot video for products that I would later edit and distribute. I loved doing it actually.

Intel Marines will always have something to do in peacetime because there are always potential threats out there to look into.

Most other jobs will just conduct training and support that training because the war is about to come to an end for the Marine Corps.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Katie,
    You have spoken with a Recruiter.
    You have asked the Marines here your questions and have received some Great advice and answers.

The next step is up to YOU...

Good luck and let us know what you have chosen.

Questions asked.
    Questions answered.
    Thread closed.

Thread Information