Sprained ankle a month ago. Running problems
Create Post

Sprained ankle a month ago. Running problems

Hello Marines.

I sprained my ankle a month ago during a pool function. The sprain was bad,or at least felt bad.

Swollen for days, black and blue for weeks. I did go to the emergency the day after the sprain in fear of something being broken, but the doctor said everything was good to go.

That i will feel discomfort and that in five week or so I will be 100% again. i still cannot run without feeling like my foot is being squshed, and if i try and push it by running longer then 20 seconds the the pain/discomfort gets more intense I'm nervous because I can't PT until its fully healed and the note that the doctor gave me for my recruiter said stated that I'm ready to return to pt.

I asked him why he did that and he said was because he felt if he put That i need more time to heal then it might screw things up for me. I gave the note to my recruiter right away but i didn't give it to him personally, I had another recruiter pass it along the note because he was in at the time. so i didnt get to explain to him how i dont feel confortable yet returning at fear of messing things up more.

I really dont know how to deal with this or am i just over thinking this whole thing ?

Last edited by Rocky C; 09-06-12 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Edited at the request of the OP.

So what's your question, shipley?

Sorry. Needed to be edited

Quote Originally Posted by Shipley View Post
    i still cannot run without feeling like my foot is being squshed, and if i try and push it by running longer then 20 seconds the the pain/discomfort gets more intense. I really dont know how to deal with this or am i just over thinking this whole thing ?
    IMHO, you ship 2-18-13. Intense pain after 20 seconds of running? You need more time off to allow healing. I assume you are elevating it when you can, icing it multiple times throughout the day, wrapping it for compression because you know to do those things.

Had a girl do the same thing, swelled up huge. She was back at it after a week, but sorry, after coaching boys and girls...girls are a lot tougher when it comes to pain.

I was told that there can be a big difference between pain and discomfort. I think it's just discomfort honestly. I went for a little jog yesterday, tweaked some things around little bit and when the same feeling came up I pushed passed it and eventually it became comfortable enough to maintain a good jog. So there's some promising news.

Keep in mind there is a lot of good stuff simply by googling it. such as if you search "how to treat a sprained ankle," you will find very precise info on that.

Or even, "How soon can I return to running after spraining an ankle."

Thread Information