Fort Lee Marines run for Chesty Puller
Create Post

Cool Fort Lee Marines run for Chesty Puller

Fort Lee Marines run for Chesty Puller
    Submitted by: Headquarters Marine Corps
    Story Identification Number: 2003112572341
    Story by Army Sgt. Jorge Gomez

FORT LEE, Va. (Nov. 20, 2003) -- When he was 11, a promising child learned about leadership, survival skills and the heroic Chesty Puller in a "Young Marines" youth program. Seven years later, he aspired to follow the warrior spirit of the legend when he entered the corps.

And now at Fort Lee, Marine Pfc. Christopher White participated in a tribute to his hero by completing the Chesty Puller Run.

The Fort Lee Marine Corps Detachment conducted the 68-mile memorial run Nov. 12 from here to the outskirts of Saluda, where the Lt. Gen. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, an icon of the Marine Corps, is laid to rest.

The relay run began with two Marines from Fort Lee at 5:30 a.m. Every two miles, another pair of Marines relieved the prior pair and so on until only three and a half miles remained to Puller's gravesite in Saluda. Then a mass formation of Marines finished the 68-mile run.

The event culminated with the laying of a wreath on the tombstone and a toast to the legacy of "Chesty" Puller.

A 37-year veteran of the Marine Corps, Lt. Gen. Puller saw action in four World War II campaigns, the Korean War and expeditionary service in China, Nicaragua and Haiti. By his death in 1971, Chesty was the most decorated officer and the only Marine to have received five Navy Crosses for heroism and gallantry in action.

?Chesty? is remembered for his bravery in combat. "They're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us ... they can't get away this time," Lt. Gen. Puller said of the enemy during one of his combat engagements.

Every individual stepping on the yellow footprints at Marine Corps Recruit Depots Paris Island, S.C., or San Diego learns of the proud history of the Corps and Lt. Gen. Puller?s contributions to the mystique behind the concept of the Marine Corps.

"The ?Chesty? Puller run allows the past to come together with the present in observance of the Marine Corps' 228th birthday," said Staff Sgt. Peter Bourgeois, Fort Lee Marine Corps Detachment. "Being stationed at Fort Lee affords the younger Marines a chance to honor the most celebrated Marine in our tradition."

Pvt. Raymond Takor, Fort Lee Marine Corps Detachment, said he felt it was a unique opportunity for him to be able to celebrate the Marine Corps' birthday by honoring a hero that he was taught to respect and model after during boot camp.

"We studied the accomplishments of Chesty Puller in boot camp, and these became the basis for our training and formation as Marines," Takor said.

When he arrived at Fort Lee more than a month ago, Takor said he was excited and looked forward to participating in this annual event - unique to Fort Lee.

For Gunnery Sgt. Eric B. Sutton, Marine Corps Detachment operations officer-in-charge, going on the Chesty Puller run is comparable to visiting the venerated battlefields of Iwo Jima.

"Very few Marines get to experience the relics of Marine Corps history," Sutton said.

"Doing this run after celebrating the Marine Corps' birthday is like the sweetest icing you could have - it makes it taste that much better."

But long after the cake has been cut and the toasts have been raised, there remains a memory of this event. A memory that White said he will pass on to his children - future Marines.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image...le/pic%201.jpg

FORT LEE, Va. - Honoring Marine hero Lt. Gen. "Chesty" Puller, Marines complete the final three miles of a 68-mile run to Puller's gravesite in Saluda from Fort Lee. Marines began their relay at 5:30 a.m. and arrived at the historic tomb at 2:30 p.m. Nov. 12. Photo by: Army Sgt. Jorge Gomez

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image...le/pic%202.jpg

FORT LEE, Va. - Lt. Col. Douglas Keeler, Fort Lee Marine Corps Detachment commander, leads his Marines in a prayer in homage of Chesty Puller.
    Photo by: Army Sgt. Jorge Gomez

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image...le/pic%203.jpg

FORT LEE, Va. - Staff Sgt. Peter Bourgeois, Fort Lee Marine Corps Detachment, lays a wreath on the gravestone of Lt. Gen. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller in Saluda after completing a 68-mile run with the Fort Lee Marine Corps detachment.
    Photo by: Army Sgt. Jorge Gómez

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn20...6?opendocument

The Drifter

firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member
    I can't say for a fact, because I haven't been there, but I've been told that only the Marine Corps teaches its history, its traditions, and its heros to all those who who plant their feet on the yellow footprints, and follow the yellow brick road.

But I DO know, for a fact, that I've asked countless army, navy, and air farce fellows about their history, their traditions, their heros, and I've been met with a "Huh?" followed by stunned silence.

I never served with Chesty, he was before my time. But I saw grown men cry when he was introduced at a football game.

I don't think I was ever prouder to be a Marine, than at that moment.

Or perhaps, I learned for the first time, what it meant to be a Marine.

Semper Fi

Thread Information