DEP questions (USMC)
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

DEP questions (USMC)

Hello, I have a few questions about the delayed entry program. My recruiter told me that if I don't join the DEP, the job I want will not be available when I turn 18. In 17 at the moment, turn 18 in November. I'm looking to be infantry, 0311. Is this true, or is this the recruiter just trying to meet his quota? I want to know if there is any truth to this because my best friend, a marine, said he didn't believe that to be true.

Thank you all for your time and any replies.

first my young friend, i know it seem nit picky but always capitalize Marine,, those who have been through boot camp and earned the title Marine understand this, and if you make it through it you will then understand the honor as well,,
    now when i was in the Corps, being a grunt was no problem, but that was many moons ago, now, these days with the possible down sizing of the Military all areas of the Corps are pretty much booked way in advanced, so it is quit possible that unless you get in the program now, you might miss out altogether, I know that when my daughter went in they were booked way ahead for all areas, She did not get what She wanted initially but can make a lat move when She reups,

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the speedy reply. Sorry about not capitalizing Marine. I'm posting from my phone and it autocorrected the word for me, I believe.

understandable, my phone is supposed to but it doesn't all the time,,lol,,i think my phone gets a retarded moment from time to time..

Well being a former Recruiter myself I can tell you that there is some truth to it. Certain jobs go very quickly, and Infantry was one of them. I use to get applicants who wanted Infantry guaranteed before they joined, but you cant get a job for an applicant til he joins. What jobs are available today may not necessarly be available tomorrow. We usually would have a limited amount of Infantry jobs available and we would usually give them to the applicants with the highest IST's, better ASVAB scores and just better overall poolees(loyal). When I left my recruiting area we probably had a good 16 applicants that wanted to be Infantry and we were given 5 to give, that was for 2011. Now as the year goes by applicants with those jobs discharge and other areas cannot fill those jobs and thats when they open up a bit throughout the year. I hope this gives a bit more detaled insight.

Thread Information