Marine Corps Infantry Officer and Desk Jobs
Create Post

Marine Corps Infantry Officer and Desk Jobs

Hello.
    I am 17 year old high school senior and went through MEPS Thursday/Friday. Took my ASVAB which I got an AFQT of 85. I am also applying to the Naval Academy which I have a very good shot of getting in because of academics and athletics. That being said, I do plan on becoming a commissioned officer but I am unsure about it now because I really fear having a desk job.

I have picked my infantry MOS which is 0331 and plan on being an infantry officer in the future either through USNA or getting my degree whilst in the reserves and going through PLC and OCS. What are the odds of me being stuck at a desk job doing paper work and such as an infantry officer vs being out in the field? Being stuck behind a desk and doing paperwork is probably my biggest fear with the entire Marine Corps. I don't want to be doing that for years.

Thank you in advance and if there's something you don't understand or something I'm missing, please tell me.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EllermanUS View Post
    Hello.
    I am 17 year old high school senior and went through MEPS Thursday/Friday. Took my ASVAB which I got an AFQT of 85. I am also applying to the Naval Academy which I have a very good shot of getting in because of academics and athletics. That being said, I do plan on becoming a commissioned officer but I am unsure about it now because I really fear having a desk job.

I have picked my infantry MOS which is 0331 and plan on being an infantry officer in the future either through USNA or getting my degree whilst in the reserves and going through PLC and OCS. What are the odds of me being stuck at a desk job doing paper work and such as an infantry officer vs being out in the field? Being stuck behind a desk and doing paperwork is probably my biggest fear with the entire Marine Corps. I don't want to be doing that for years.

Thank you in advance and if there's something you don't understand or something I'm missing, please tell me.
    I think your idea of what an officer(even an infantry officer) is a little off base. A majority of your time as an officer will be spent not necessarily "behind a desk" but doing paperwork. Writing orders, doing ORM(operational risk management), planning a training schedule, being sure your Marines are properly trained and taken care of is your job as a 2nd and 1st Lt. Platoon Commander, a Co. Cmdr, etc...If you are expecting to be a trigger puller in the field all the time you are sadly mistaken.

Also, as an officer you do not get to select whatever MOS you want. You will get a wishlist going into TBS(The Basic School, after you commission), and you'll get selected for an MOS based on that wishlist and where you rank in your TBS class.

I already knew about the 'wishlist' at TBS but thank you a lot for the other info. I always get so many varying answers.

I didn't necessarily expect to see combat all of the time or even once in a while but at least once or something. I really don't want to have to handle any type of paperwork like that. I have really been thinking about going active instead of staying in the reserve to become an officer (Unless I get into USNA. I think that is an opportunity I can't pass up). Recommendations?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EllermanUS View Post
    I already knew about the 'wishlist' at TBS but thank you a lot for the other info. I always get so many varying answers.

I didn't necessarily expect to see combat all of the time or even once in a while but at least once or something. I really don't want to have to handle any type of paperwork like that. I have really been thinking about going active instead of staying in the reserve to become an officer (Unless I get into USNA. I think that is an opportunity I can't pass up). Recommendations?
    If you never want to do paperwork then my only recommendation is to enlist as a grunt/infantryman, be nasty, and stay a LCpl. the whole time. As you pick up rank comes greater responsibilities which means you will be taking care of other Marine junior to you. With that responsibility comes the dreaded 'paperwork'.

I agree that going to USNA is an opportunity that you, or no one for that matter, should pass up. But I think you really need to evaluate what you want to do. Going to USNA does not guarantee you'll become a Marine Officer, and if you do you will not be guaranteed to become an Infantry Officer. I also think you need to do a bit more research on what we do as Marines, everything we do is VERY well organized and planned out. We are not just out on the battlefield randomly kicking in doors and looking to get into a firefight. As an officer/plt. cmdr. it is your job to do the research, sift through intel, plan out the mission, mitigate risks, and assign tasks to your Marines to carry out your commanders intent and bigger picture.

Alright. Thank you for your replies. I have a better understanding of it now. I guess everybody does at least some form of paperwork. Some more, some less. I don't really plan on kicking in many doors or getting into many firefights for that matter. If it happens though, it happens. It's not why I'm joining. Thanks.

To add to what has already been said.........Some tasks as an Officer - responsible for the discipline, morale, and welfare of their unit's Marines; evaluation of their performance, which means sitting behind a desk doing paperwork.

Then WHY do you want to become a Marine Corps officer? I'd like to hear your thoughts?

Last edited by fl1946; 08-26-12 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Be more precise

I won't repeat what has already been said, especially by LCpl josephd, because it is all pretty much spot on.

As an officer, your most important weapon will be a radio, anyway. You'll spend plenty of time out in the field as an 0302, regardless, in addition to quite a bit of mission planning and training your Marines. Your unit's effectiveness is rested on your shoulders; whether or not they perform to expectations is on you. I would not call it a desk job, especially compared to what goes on in the cubicle world.

Thread Information