MSG Duty
Create Post

Thread: MSG Duty

MSG Duty

Good Morning Gentlemen,

Myself and a fellow Marine are preparing for MSG Duty. If all goes well with administration type things, it should happen sometime next year. I am not very worried about the school, but am just wondering about any personal experiences, advice, or details you may have. What to do, what not to do. Recommended stations to go to.

If there is a link for a topic like this that was posted before, please provide it, as the search engine will not work for me on this computer.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by brank View Post
    Good Morning Gentlemen,

Myself and a fellow Marine are preparing for MSG Duty. If all goes well with administration type things, it should happen sometime next year. I am not very worried about the school, but am just wondering about any personal experiences, advice, or details you may have. What to do, what not to do. Recommended stations to go to.

If there is a link for a topic like this that was posted before, ,
    please provide it, as
    the search engine will not work for me on this computer.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

Doesn't work for the rest of us either-

Don't tell anyone.

PS I'd pass along the info if i had any..

But - Good Luck and Semper Fi young brother !

Work on your PT, financial health, & cut back on the drinking.

This is about all you can do right now.

The PT is a no brainer, specific to the other; You will have to get a TS/SCI clearance to go out on the program. Too much debt is a red flag. Too much drinking (a six pack a week) will cause you to visit the shrink to determine if you have a drinking problem. I had to visit him 4 times before I was given the okay.

You will get firehosed with a lot of information while in school. The subjects vary but by the time you graduate you will be qualified to stand a post. You'll probably hear that attrition is the mission of the school; it isn't, there is just a lot of knowledge that has to be learned. Some make the school the focus of effort and succeed, others make the focus libo and get dropped.

Regarding posts, I there are 4-5 rotations throughout the year. The Marines on post get first pick, the graduating class get the rest. No need to worry about where you are going. It is good duty no matter where you are posted. My first post was Prague, second post was Bangui. Bangui was at the very bottom of the list. It was also a good post.

S/F

Paul

there are no ez answers, I spent eight years in this very special unit. three post overseas, jeddah, Haiit, and ivory coast, and three years with the HQ at quantico.
    Paul gave you the best advice, There is no place for indicators of immaturity or poor judgement the school does have a high attrtition, the staff are all selected from the best of the program. They do a great job of filtering out those who would not be good at post. While the school is very diffiuclt, obviously it aint impossible. the key is to show up with zero distractions and a promise to yourself to focus on this training for a solid six weeks. Show up with immaculate uniforms, high first class physical shape and a mental attitude to apply yourself for what is in essence a whole new MOS.

The school itself isnt to difficult, either is the PT in the mornings. MSG is still the Marine Corps as far as academics go, though what makes this place different is the fact the higher honcho's are looking for any reason to drop you.

One slip up that you make will deem you a poor quality Marine and dropped from the program. Seriously if you get the chance to talk to the Marines that actually work at that unit they will tell you stories about some stupid **** that people get dropped for. Some of them are probably over exagerations but most are legit. Just becareful... you are being watched, trying to do the right thing doesnt always work out well at this school.

Another thing is make sure you make friends with your peers, or in other words make sure you know them. Quite a few Marines reach the board in the last week or two just to get dropped because couple of their peers felt that so said Marine would not being some one who they would want to work with.

Of course there are the random **** that is out of your control, like the navy doc evaluation. I saw this **** drop a Marine just because he was considered anti social. I thought he was pretty normal guy, just wasnt an extrovert. What made it even more funny was that they told this guy was to go back to the fleet and "make more friends." I serously do not know what he told that Doc but... yah

Oh yah make sure you get all that motard stuff down, higher honchos love that **** and they will love you even more. I am talking about the raging high and tights, the orrahs the aye aye of AYE's. Dont be a complete kiss ass but hey just know where to keep a balance.

I think that covers the big issues at least.

Thread Information