Reporting to SOI
Create Post

Reporting to SOI

Good afternoon Devil Dogs, I finally made it through Boot Camp. It was tough but I think my preparation paid off. Graduated 10AUG12 from Fox Co. Plt. 2122 out of MCRD SD. Series Honor man, Company Ironman, and meritorious promotion to Lance Corporal.

I have come up with a question I thought would be good to pose here before starting to worry. I see all over that upon report in to SOI we are required to have our medical records, dental records, and SRB. My problem lies in the fact that I have none of those, I was not given a single one of them prior to or after graduation. Are these files sent directly to SOI now or is there some phone calls I need to start making?

Thank you for all your help,

LCpl Troelstrup

Credits
    Savings
    Congrats Marine ! Wow L/cpl out of boot Iron man / series honor man/ that is quite an accomplishment indeed. S/F Moz USMC 68-70

Quote Originally Posted by Topman View Post
    Good afternoon Devil Dogs, I finally made it through Boot Camp. It was tough but I think my preparation paid off. Graduated 10AUG12 from Fox Co. Plt. 2122 out of MCRD SD. Series Honor man, Company Ironman, and meritorious promotion to Lance Corporal.

I have come up with a question I thought would be good to pose here before starting to worry. I see all over that upon report in to SOI we are required to have our medical records, dental records, and SRB. My problem lies in the fact that I have none of those, I was not given a single one of them prior to or after graduation. Are these files sent directly to SOI now or is there some phone calls I need to start making?

Thank you for all your help,

LCpl Troelstrup
    Gratz Lance corporal but you have a problem devil you were supposed to have been given all of those things when you graduated actually you get it a few days before you graduate from boot camp so you can hand them in when you do indoc at Camp Geiger or Pendleton. It isnt exactly easy to create your SRB or your Med records because they give you the hard copy when you leave if you lose it your probably going to have to get all those shots and everything all over again... AND if your SRB has your orders in it you are going to be effed in the A because you are traveling on those orders thats what authorises you to be on leave and check in to your unit. I suggest you go try finding it because they never issued it isnt going to cut it when you go check in.

I appreciate your comments. I've spoken to my recruiter, and a couple other guys from my company, it sounds like those documents are sent directly to ITB nowadays. I do have another question though, I'm repacking my seabags and trying to find ways to consolidate. I know everyone says bring EVERYTHING that you get from bootcamp, but is it really necessary to bring items such as the all-weather coat, or the wooly-pully? I can't imagine needing those at Camp Pendleton, but I wanted to check here before making that decision.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Topman View Post

. I do have another question though, ,
    I'm repacking my seabags and trying to find ways to consolidate.

I know everyone says bring EVERYTHING ,

that you get from bootcamp, ,

but is it really necessary to bring items such as ,
    the all-weather coat, ,
    the wooly-pully?

I can't imagine needing those at Camp Pendleton,

but I wanted to check here

before making that decision.

Studley

"Everyone" says take *EVERYTHING* for a reason ???????

You and your ISSUED GEAR are supposed to be there.

It isn't a question of what you think about if you will need it or not, ..
    It's your money if you need to buy more,

Its your ass if you get sent someplace you need it and you don't have it.
    You want to be a Real Marine ? a Professional ?

Do what you're supposed to do .

Quote Originally Posted by m14ed View Post

Studley

"Everyone" says take *EVERYTHING* for a reason ???????

You and your ISSUED GEAR are supposed to be there.

It isn't a question of what you think about if you will need it or not, ..
    It's your money if you need to buy more,

Its your ass if you get sent someplace you need it and you don't have it.
    You want to be a Real Marine ? a Professional ?

Do what you're supposed to do .

Couldn't have said it better!

what about when your company gives you a gear list to take to afghanistan and you know for a fact you dont need any of it....

Message received.

You can toss your boot camp skivies, and bring your own underwear. Other than that, you'd best bring everything. Not only do you not know what you'll need at SOI, but you ship straight to your school or permanent duty station. You have no idea what you'll be needing there.

Oh yeah, I have every intention of purchasing some new skivvies, those briefs just awful. Another question I've come up with is regarding the transportation of the sea-bags. I plan on wearing civilian attire departing from Chicago, then changing to alphas at the USO in San Diego. While in civvies it shouldn't be a problem, but once in the Alphas, how does one go about carrying the multiple sea-bags and a war bag while maintaining a free right hand? They're all packed full and on the heavier side, but it's my understanding that we can't put one on our back while in uniform so I'm at a loss.

Thank you all for putting up with my barrage of questions, and patience with my boot ignorance.

They'll have carts at the airport, and you can put your seabags on the cart prior to chaning into your Alphas. Also, get a tight haircut the day before you fly out. If you don't, you'll end up paying $22 dollars for a round trip shuttle to MCRD, plus whatever they charge you for the haircut there.

If the expense isn't bad enough, you'll have to go back to MCRD.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by warpog View Post

what about when your -----company----------------------
    gives you a gear list to take to afghanistan ,
    and you know for a fact you dont need any of it....
    I think we're talking apples and oranges between SOI >ITR< old title <and FMF???

Mounting out as a "Unit" is different than mounting out as an "Individual"

and as such,

always was and probibly always will be required to maintain his equipment in his possession ( UNLESS required to be stored by the Corps) in route to or from PCS's ( ???? )

He still has the potential for "Schools" - one way or another before being assigned to
    duty station or unit.

?

Ditch the all-weather coat, thing sucks and is heavy, you'll never wear it because you'll get issued a gortex.

Your medical and SRB is sent to SACO at 52 area, when you report in there a bunch of those Marines will start handing them out to you, just make sure you have your orders. Have fun... SOI sucks, sucks worse if you're going to ITB.

Thread Information