College Credit Means Promotion?
Closed Thread

College Credit Means Promotion?

I'm a Poolee right now my ranks is E-1, another Poolee told me that if i have college credit Before going to boot camp i can get promote. I'm already taking Fall Semester Classes in the total of 17 credits, i leave for boot camp on janauary, my classes will be finish by then.

How many credits do i need to rank up?

15 credits with a GPA of 2.2 or higher. If you have more, the GPA requirement lowers to a minimum of 2.0 at around 30? I'm not sure on the amount of credits for the 2.0 to be in effect, but I believe it is somewhere between 24 and 30. So don't slack on your grades because if you get below a 2.2 you will not be promoted. Also, it may be hard for your recruiter to get those credits in the system in that time and you may have to take care of it in Boot Camp. I don't recall if they asked at the beginning, but they definitely asked during Marine week I believe if anyone was supposed to be E-2 and wasn't. Also at certain points it may be alright to ask your senior about what you'd need to do.

You will need to do some of the legwork to get those credits registered before you ship. You will need to give your recruiter a sealed official copy of your transcript. You can get this from your school, sometimes may cost $15 - $30 depending on your school. Then your recruiter needs to take it to MEPS and have it submitted and everything. Afterwards, DO NOT sign anything that does not say E-2. It may be helpful to take another copy with you when you go to MEPS before you leave. Just in case the happen to "lose" the paperwork. Then you can prove right there that you have the credits and you should be shipping at E-2.

Not saying the recruiters are bad, they just usually have a lot on their plate and sometimes **** slips their mind. However, you want to have your ass covered because it is near impossible to get that fixed after you leave. Most of the times your senior can't do anything about it unless you have an official copy of your transcripts. Make sure it is official otherwise they won't take it. A lot of the guys from my platoon had problems where they should have been and weren't. They didn't have any documents to prove they had the credits before they shipped and they were never able to get it fixed. Exodus Ramus is right too, make sure you do well in the classes or they won't count. It's all on you to do well and to make sure it gets done.

Even if you can't apply the college credit immediately, you should be able to continue your education while in the service (there are several online programs you can get into after boot camp and your school).

You generally have to talk to your platoon Sergeant to get into these programs. He (she?) would send you over to the company office, so everyone is going to know you are going to school after the paperwork is all done.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The other way you can Graduate E-2 is having attained the Rank Of Eagle Scout.

Last edited by Rocky C; 08-20-12 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Awhezi View Post
    I'm a Poolee right now my ranks is E-1, another Poolee told me that if i have college credit Before going to boot camp i can get promote. I'm already taking Fall Semester Classes in the total of 17 credits, i leave for boot camp on janauary, my classes will be finish by then.
    This may just be semantics, but if you're a Poolee, your rank is Poolee. You'll receive an enlisted rank (E-x) when you earn the title of enlisted Marine.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Question asked.
    Question answered.
    Thread closed.

Thread Information