I need help. I am trying to teach marching
Create Post

Red face I need help. I am trying to teach marching

I need direct information from someone that knows how to call commands and what foot to call it on. If you know please respond back that would be very helpful

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    ( This was posted on the Forum 3 years ago ).

Like Atten-hut, Right-Face, About-Face, Left-Face, Parade-Rest, Present-Arms, Ready-To, At Ease?

Or Column Left-March and stuff like that. The facing/stationary commands are easy, the marching commands get tricky for what foot to call it on. Most marching commands are called on the left foot, with the exception of Column Left, Right Flank, Right Oblique, and a few others I cant think of right now. You have to actually march yourself to call them correctly while practicing. I'll give you an example.

Say you want to do Column Left, it should go like this.

(right foot) Column (left foot)left (pause, right foot) (left foot) March (pivot on right foot).

Or a Left Flank

(left)By the (right)Left (left) Flank (right, pause) (left) March (pivot on the right foot)

Platoon Halt would be

(left) Platooon, (left, Pause) (right) Halt, (left, step) (right comes together with left foot)

Hope this clears up some, you can't get good at calling commands while marching unless you practice yourself at home.

LOL - You still have it Rocky! I might add that after you have been with a group for a bit, if you make a mistake, the Marines marching will automatically take the extra step and execute on the correct foot and make you look good. After boot camp, this was common fair for us. We didn't do much marching. We went to and from work on our own. We practiced every month or two with a few hours of training. If you are the one giving the commands, you will quickly learn to visualize the execution and you will pause and give the execute command on the correct foot. The first command is the preparatory or warning command. Column left.. and the second is the execute..March! You can actually pause for several steps because sometimes from your point of view, the point of turning may actually be a few feet further and you might need to wait for several steps before giving the execute command. It's not hard, but some people are "shy" about drilling at first. Once you get over that, it's a piece of cake. Also, if you can't carry a tune, you can always have someone in the formation sing out cadence, but you would still give out the commands. I never could sing so I always let someone else do the "fun" cadence.

I don't know, but I've been told,
    Eskimo ...........................cold.

Get a copy of the FM 22-5

Drill Manual.

Used to go to Sweetwater High School and grade drill competion for ROTC in San Diego.

What a cluster f--k that was.

Credits
    Savings
    Marine Brat
    Can you get to an area where troops are drilling ?
    I'm sure they would not concern if you just observed !
    Be sure to clear it with someone (start with the Drill Sgt)
    This would give you a baseline

Even-- Ugh-- a reserve unit in a local armory

Google Marine Corps Drill Manual.

Why do you want to know drill and marching commands......and who do you plan on teaching?

Stay away from Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard drill.

Google. Marine Corps Drill

Quote Originally Posted by SoftballCatch23 View Post
    Why do you want to know drill and marching commands......and who do you plan on teaching?
    March to the mall, Your Left Righto LEFT, lol, Semper Fidelis.

You could just say "Forward Herd."

Stop, Go, Turn Left, Turn Right, Whoa.

Thread Information