Marijuana Misdemeanor
Closed Thread

Marijuana Misdemeanor

Last Friday I went to MEPs, took my physical, passed and then found out I wasn't able to enlist that day. That is because I was told that the FBI report would tell them everything I had done in the past, and that if I didn't tell them something and they found out about it I would be -------. So I told them about when I was 14 I was charged with a misdemeanor of possession of marijuana under 1 oz. I hadn't told my recruiter this because I was under the assumption that the case had been sealed and that it didn't matter anymore. The marijuana wasn't even mine, a kid who didn't like me planted it in my backpack then told the office I was in possession. I know this because he told me the next week when I got off suspension. Now I have no idea when I can sign, I have to send my recruiter a letter about what happened, about why I want to become a Marine and 3 letters of recommendation from 3 reputable people about my character ( teachers, coaches, etc)

So my question is, even when I do all that, will I be able to enlist or am I ------- ? I have no idea what ill do if I don't enlist because then Ill be the only man in my family not in the military since the 1930s.

Last edited by Rocky C; 08-15-12 at 02:53 PM.

Also, I was going to enlist as a 0331 and ship out the first week of october

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I cannot say for sure whether or not you'll get to enlist. Only advice I can give is be honest!!...the background check is more of a character test than anything to see if you'll fess up to anything you may have done. There is no such thing as a "sealed record". It may be sealed from the public record court record but any sort of FBI background check or security clearance check will be able to pull it up.

You'll likely be alright to enlist. Fess up, and expect to have to get a waiver for marijuana use under X number of times.

Also, just an FYI, unless you're enlisting in the Reserves you won't be shipping as an 0331. You'll be shipping as an 03xx and the remainder will be determined at SOI.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunstream View Post
    You'll likely be alright to enlist. Fess up, and expect to have to get a waiver for marijuana use under X number of times.

Also, just an FYI, unless you're enlisting in the Reserves you won't be shipping as an 0331. You'll be shipping as an 03xx and the remainder will be determined at SOI.

I actually do plan on going reserves until i can get my 2 yr degree, I had EVERYTHING lined up and then this ---- happened. but I've heard that people have gotten in with worse, but ill be lost if I cant do this.

Last edited by Rocky C; 08-15-12 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Cursing !!!

Be honest.

Everybody tries weed, even Bill Clinton.

As josephd said, records are not "sealed" or "expunged" when it comes to the military. Someday, you might have the need to get a clearance, and they don't need to find out about your dumb mistakes the hard way.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...andards2_2.htm

Good luck.

I joined last November with a marijuana waiver because I was arrested back in 2007. You'll need to get a background check and all that other stuff. It's a pain to jump through all of those hoops, but it is definitely possible if you want it enough. It will disqualify you from about half of the MOS's, but it won't DQ you from infantry. You can do it, just stick with the program and do whatever your recruiter needs you to do.

Here's another piece of advice. If you plan on going active duty later on, then start as active duty. It is very hard to go from reserve to active. If you really want to be active at some point, go active now. You'll get the full GI bill and that will pay for your college after you get out. You can also take classes while active duty for free with tuition assistance as long as you don't fail them. If you want reserves just for the 2 years, just remember that it is a 6 year contract and is extremely hard to switch to the active side from reserves.

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    be honest.

Everybody tries weed, even bill clinton.

As josephd said, records are not "sealed" or "expunged" when it comes to the military. Someday, you might have the need to get a clearance, and they don't need to find out about your dumb mistakes the hard way.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...andards2_2.htm

good luck.
    i guess i was one of the few that didnt. Not because i joined the navy to be a doc but my parents would whoop my ask

semper fi wookie my brother

stephen doc hansen hm3 fmf

I just signed my contract as 0331 and swore in today. Thanks for all the help guys ( Marines ).

Last edited by Rocky C; 08-25-12 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Marines not Guys...

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyplayer93 View Post
    Thanks for all the help guys.
    Yes, this does bother me. How about...Thanks for all the help Marines, not guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyplayer93 View Post
    I just signed my contract as 0331 and swore in today.
    That's the easy part, good for you for doing it - now you have to earn the title.

Good luck

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Question asked.
    Question answered.
    Thread closed.

Thread Information