Question about MOS 3521
Create Post

Question about MOS 3521

Hello everyone, I'm new here and I am currently waitingto get a waiver for my spine surgery. I have taken my asvab and got a score of 48. I know, not great but in MM, MT, EL, and CL all over 100. So I guess it kind of makes up for it a little.

So, I think I have decided on a MOS if I get the waiver, but I'm not sold on it. I want MOS 3521, and I was wondering what it was like for any Marine that was it that MOS. did you go on patrol or anything like that? Do you get assigned to an infantry unit or anything? Pretty much what is it you Marines do day to day?

Thank you for your service, and I hope to become a Marine aswell

Last edited by Rocky C; 08-14-12 at 06:49 PM. Reason: It's Marines, not Guys and Gals...

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Until a Motor T Marine comes along with that MOS...

Marines who hold the 3521 MOS are usually part of a Marine combat service support organization. Most start their careers in a motor transport company or other small unit.

These kinds of companies exist solely to support the combat mission of the Marine Corps. Motor transport units include general mechanics and those trained to service specific equipment. This includes light and heavy duty diesel trucks and Humvee four-wheel-drive vehicles.

Thank you for the info Sir, this might be a stupid question bu I do not understand what you mean, will I be giving support in the field or on base?

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Whatever the needs are of your Unit and of the " Marine Corps ".

Perfect, thank you Sir.

I was a 3521/3522/3523 Basic Automtive Mech/Advanced Auto Mech/Vehicle recovery Mech, Most of the time I was assigned to a large unit 9th motors,8th motors but I went on a Med float so it depends on what and where they need you

I just graduated top of my class from Automotive Maintenance Training Basic Course (3521 MOS school). I can't tell you exactly what it's like in the fleet, but I can shed some light on the MOS. First off, the school is about 2 and a half months long on Camp Johnson which is right next to Camp Lejeune. It used to have a long wait to pick up with the school, I waited almost 3 months on Johnson before I picked up with my school, but by the time I left there was maybe a 2 week wait, if that.

As for units, you could be sent just about anywhere. Motor T is kind of like the backbone of the Marine Corps. Infantry uses trucks, supply uses trucks, engineers use trucks, medical battalions use trucks, as do artillery, and just about any other company you can think of. This being said, they all need fixing because they will all break at one point or another. This means that you could be sent just about anywhere. You could be sent to a maintenance battalion which are big shops of Motor T mechanics of various echelons who do nothing but fix trucks all day, so it's possible to wind up there either as second echelon, or third or fourth even. Motor T is also sent to infantry units, recon units, artillery units, medical units where you'd be around a lot of corpsmen, engineer units, air wing units, or headquarters units. There may be more I'm forgetting about. I'm personally going to an infantry unit, 3/3 in Hawaii. When you are with an infantry unit, you'll train with them, you'll go to the field with them, and you'll go on convoys with them because if at any point a truck breaks, you need to fix it. The same goes for other units, you'll go where they go and to some extent do what they do. Infantry, recon and arty units go to the field a lot. If you are with an engineering unit, you will probably get cross trained on fixing engineering vehicles. Medical and air wing units are pretty easy from what I've heard, but some other units get worked pretty hard. It is also possible to get a diesel engine certification for use in the civilian world through the journeyman program. Log all of your repair and troubleshooting hours every day and get them signed off every week and once you get your required hours, you'll get your certificate.

This is what I've heard from my instructors and platoon sergeants. Motor T can be a lot of hard work, and you don't always get the appreciation you deserve because you are always a support element and never the main effort, but you develop a lot of brotherhood and units would not function effectively without mechanics. Also, the required cutting scores for Cpl and Sgt are pretty low, so promotion is easier than a lot of other MOS's. Hopefully this is what you were looking for and I hope it helps.

Thread Information