28, Prior Service, MEPs in 2 days.
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

28, Prior Service, MEPs in 2 days.

So I am 28, I am a prior service Navy HM. I am going to MEP's in 2 days to re-take my ASVAB and do my physical. I know this has been asked multiple times I am sure, but what should I expect as a 28 year old in boot? I remember a 31 year old I was in navy boot with and everything was cool, he wasn't really treated any different.

Apparently my prior service waiver is going to get waived and I should be shipping out within 3 months of the waiver being granted. I will be 29 in March of next year. I'm hoping for a 0300 MOS, because I refuse to enlist unless I can get that. I guess my question is for anyone who enlisted in the Marines as prior service, is there anything I should know? As in, is the process for shipping prior service the same as dep'ers? any advice would be greatly appreciate, thanks.

You need to fill in a more complete profile before anyone is likely to answer your questions.

Credits
    Savings
    Gunstream said it right !!!

Profile UP....

Gowens, read gunstreams profile, i'll bet he was on his way to give an answer to your age question about boot camp.

He wasn't a spring chicken when he went.

Credits
    Savings
    Ok, I think I filled it all out?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cgowens View Post
    Ok, I think I filled it all out?
    You're good. Thanks.

Whether or not your age will cause you to be treated different will depend heavily on whether or not you act your age. You should be mentally more mature than the rest of your platoon, so it only makes sense that your DI's will expect you to act that way.

That being said, you're going to be put in a leadership billet. You're older than everyone else, plus you're prior service. You may catch a lot of extra heat, however. There was a prior service Air Force that was in our receiving platoon, and they rode him until he broke and got recycled (So a squid thinks he's good enough to join my Marine Corps?!) That being said, Corpsmen are generally viewed differently by Marines than the rest of the Navy. Some Marines owe their lives to them, and some Marines loathe them. I know my platoon sergeant at MCT hated Corpsmen with every fiber of his existence. It's probably going to depend on your individual Drill Instructors.

Credits
    Savings
    how will they know I am prior service? Do DI's have access to my service record? i would think not, but who knows.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cgowens View Post
    how will they know I am prior service? Do DI's have access to my service record? i would think not, but who knows.
    of course they have access to your service record, your DI's are your whole chain of command while you're at the depot. even if they didn't they would know or figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    of course they have access to your service record, your DI's are your whole chain of command while you're at the depot. even if they didn't they would know or figure it out.
    This^

Plus, they're going to ask in the first week or two if anyone is prior service, who has a college degree, who maxes pullups, who can run under 18:00, and a number of other questions that they'll be considering when filling the leadership billets. You could refrain from volunteering that you were prior service, but they'll find out anyway. Then your life will be hell for a very, very, very long time for lack of integrity.

Were you an fmf corpsman or a regular corpsman because if you were in the fmf you wouldnt be asking all these questions. How long were you in.

Farewinds and goodluck my brother!!!!

Stephen doc hansen hm3 fmf

I went through as a 28yr old college grad. They stuck me as the scribe since I had the highest asvab/gt score in the entire Co. I really wasnt treated any differently except for being called the 'Grand Old Man of plt 3231' by our kill hat. It was a bit sobering once I realized I was 5yrs older than my SDI

Thread Information