Active Duty or Reserves
Create Post
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Active Duty or Reserves

Hello, To jump right in, i would like to have some opinions to help me decide between the two: Active duty or Reserves. Initially, I think active duty in the Marine Corp would be a great experience. Though my mother doesn't believe that I should do that because she thinks I'll be killed in combat. So my first question is if I were to join active duty, as any MOS, would I be likely to see combat?
    Secondly, I also believe the reserves would be a good choice. That is, because I could still pursue a career in college, which brings me to my second question. Would being in the USMCR and going to college be too difficult and compact?
    I would really appreciate replies, thank you.

How about filling out more of your profile.....site rules, which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Sorry Ma'am, I filled out

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Let's put it this way, you're more likely now to be killed driving down your street from a drunk driver than you are in combat. Being in "combat" is based on your MOS also, obviously if you are a grunt/infantryman then yes your risk will be higher than if you are say a Legal Admin clerk or something along those lines.

If you are young(18-22) still and want the "Marine Corps" experience I would suggest going active duty. You can get out after your 4-5 years and still be able to go to college at a relatively young age.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Yes thank you very much for some advice, I'm 17 right now and I'm focusing on my decision.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerahs05 View Post
    Yes thank you very much for some advice, I'm 17 right now and I'm focusing on my decision.
    Again I would suggest going active duty, you'll be out by 22 or 23(if you don't re-enlist) and can still go to school. You can also join the reserves once you get out/off active duty if you wanna stick around the Corps still.

If you join the reserves you'll need to get a civilian job still and a place to live(unless you're going to live at home and suckle from the parental teet).

Thread Information