Need some advice
Create Post

Need some advice

Good Afternoon, I have a problem/question, I was searching on the forum about "reserve marine going active" and have been doing a lot of searching regarding the matter.

A few months ago (April) I was discharged from the DEP (Failed IST'S)
    I have stayed in contact with my recruiter and a few weeks ago I went to our Recruiting Station HQ and took an IST in front of their command and passed. Now my recruiter is trying to get me back in, but now he wants me to join the reserves. As he says "You can just join the Reserves and in a few months go Active" I guess he told me this because I let him know my house is in Foreclosure and I need to leave soon or face being homeless... But as he says I can't go Active because that could possibly take 6 months for me to go to Boot Camp, but with reserves I can leave the 20th of this month... He also told me the only job field available to me is Motor T ( I have no experience or interest with vehicles )

So I guess what I am trying to get to is, is my recruiter lying? Should I wait somehow to go Active? Is there anything I can possibly do?
    Thank you for your time

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Based on previous posts made here, it is very difficult go from reserves to active duty, particularly now with the Corps downsizing.

Seems to be the general consensus... Well I guess I can try and go to college in the reserves, and from there OCS..

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You are registerd as a Poolee/DEP.
    You are no longer.
    When your situation changes, PM me and I will make the corrections again.

Your status is changed to "Marine Friend".

Good luck to you and I hope your Recruiter can help you.

It is still possible, but not a likely, or hasty, process. Essentially, you complete your training and join your reserve unit. At that point, you have to put in a packet to go active duty that goes all the way up your reserve chain of command. They have to approve your packet agreeing to let you go. Then the packet gets sent to the AD side, and the exact same process has to occur. The main problem is, you will have been in training for nearly a year (with Motor T) before you ever hit your reserve unit. They will have been waiting that entire year for another Motor T Operator or Mechanic, who will show up trying to leave. If they actually need you at that unit, they're not likely to let you leave. Even if they do, the process of switching over takes several months.

To answer your initial question, it sounds like the recruiter is giving you the facts. They have slots that they can send recruits, and the number of slots they have available are different for active and reserve recruits. They probably have their active duty slots filled with recruits who have been waiting for several months, and who weren't kicked out for not meeting the basic physical standards expected of Poolees. Those young men have earned the right to ship off more than you have. Additionally, reserve contracts are available strictly accoridng to what the local reserve units need, and it sounds like they need Motor T guys.

This may sound blunt, but you should really refrain from questioning your Recruiter's integrity. You had a chance to go, and you squandered it. Not him.

Thread Information