Asthma and Security Clearance.
Closed Thread

Asthma and Security Clearance.

It has been my dream to become a United States Marine for over a year now. With my last year of high school coming up, i am planning to go talk to a recruiter for the first time.

I have/had 2 medical diagnoses:

Allergic Asthma
    ADD

I have researched both, and by the time i enlist i will be off my ADD medication for over a year.

But the problem is my Asthma. I got pneumonia when i was in 7th grade and ended up developing Asthma because of it. My asthma was never terrible and i only needed an inhaler that year while struggling through pneumonia. I have never needed it since then, so i haven't used it in almost 5 years. I still think i will get DQ'd because i was 13 when diagnosed, and i have never been tested since to see if i still have it. (I have showed no signs in 5 years, nor have i needed an inhaler)

Like you guys probably hear a lot on these forums from other "wannabes" is the fact that i want my MOS to be "Reconnaissance".

I know, or at least i have researched and been told, that if you enlist as reconnaissance, then you are given your first chance after basic and SOI.

If i lie to my recruiter about the Asthma while applying for a "potential" security clearance, would that DQ me from BRC? Or even worse, USMC altogether?
    When applying for a security clearance, does that give them permission to check my medical history?
    Or should i apply for a waiver with the potential of being denied..

Thanks for your help!

and by "them" I don't mean MEPS, But who ever reviews you for a security clearance.

Topic closed until you have a complete profile besides a first and last name.....site rules, which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums. PM and Squad Leader from the Squad Leaders sticky when your profile is complete and your topic will be re-opened.

Do not lie to your recuiter about your asthma.....and it's Marines, not guys.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If you lie about your medical and undergo a background investigation, you WILL have to sign waivers for any and all medical records. Not to mention the investigators speaking with people you know who won't lie to a Fed. Never mind the asthma unexpectedly kicking in. Your budding career will be toast.

Best to be truthful and go for the waiver. If you get the waiver and the asthma kicks in again, you may be medically discharged, but you won't be in trouble for a fraudulent enlistment.

If you don't get a waiver, at least you tried and were honest about it. There are other service options out there. A friend tried to enlist with an asthma problem similar to yours and did not get a waiver. He became a firefighter, a paramedic, and a high-angle rescue instructor.

What if i get tested for Asthma this month, and it turns out i do not have it anymore. Will i still need a waiver since i was diagnosed when i was 13?

Quote Originally Posted by akrause View Post
    What if i get tested for Asthma this month, and it turns out i do not have it anymore. Will i still need a waiver since i was diagnosed when i was 13?
    That would be up to the Recruiting command and MEPS/BUMED.

It has been my dream to become a United States Marine for over a year now. With my last year of high school coming up, i am planning to go talk to a recruiter for the first time.

I have/had 2 medical diagnoses:

Allergic Asthma
    ADD

I have researched both, and by the time i enlist i will be off my ADD medication for over a year.

But the problem is my Asthma. I got pneumonia when i was in 7th grade and ended up developing Asthma because of it. My asthma was never terrible and i only needed an inhaler that year while struggling through pneumonia. I have never needed it since then, so i haven't used it in almost 5 years. I still think i will get DQ'd because i was 13 when diagnosed, and i have never been tested since to see if i still have it. (I have showed no signs in 5 years, nor have i needed an inhaler)

Like you guys probably hear a lot on these forums from other "wannabes" is the fact that i want my MOS to be "Reconnaissance".

I know, or at least i have researched and been told, that if you enlist as reconnaissance, then you are given your first chance after basic and SOI.

If i lie to my recruiter about the Asthma while applying for a "potential" security clearance, would that DQ me from BRC? Or even worse, USMC altogether?
    When applying for a security clearance, does that give them permission to check my medical history?
    Or should i apply for a waiver with the potential of being denied..

Thanks for your help!
    First of the Asthma will probably be a Perma DQ you can check if you want to, to see if you can get a waiver but with them trying to downsize severely im pretty sure that will be bad to go

the same with the ADHD you will have to get all your grades and teachers recommendations from them inorder to enlist with that if you want to try with both of those against you good on you im sure people have gotten in with more severe problems but now isnt a time where that is likely to happen especially with them making everything twice as hard.

A few things to keep in mind if you want to lie about all this stuff to your recruiter that is on do, I of course would recommend against it because if and when you get caught you will be in quite a bit of trouble especially if you do make it through bootcamp you then become subject to the UCMJ then you will get adseped from the Marine Corps then good luck trying to get a job.

I am also not sure what clearance you think you will be getting as recon im sure you will get just a regular secret clearance I doubt MET T will dictate that you get a TS but I could be wrong, but should you need a TS/SCI and they find out you lied it is not good. If they find out you lie which they will ive seen it happen you need to get aqn SOC from some reputable people stating that you are a person of good character and can be trusted then they still have to take the peoples word if they wish they do not have to in order to give you your clearance and if not then depending on how severe it is or what it is it is either you get dropped and sent somewhere based on needs of the Marine Corps or you get administratively Seperated (AdSeped) from the marine corps and then still good on you for trying to find a job with an OTH discharge from the Marine Corps.

Obtaining a security clearance isn't the issue, but rather can you enlist with a history of asthma.

Well i talked to a recruiter today, i told him about the ADD and since i have been off the medication, he said my ADD is not a problem at all. Hey never asked about Asthma, i fear that he will next time we talk.

This thread can be closed, i talk to him about my Asthma and it is all taken care of.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thread Closed at OP's request

Thread Information