Drill Instructor School
Create Post

Drill Instructor School

Hello,
    I am getting ready to head to DI school in a 2 months and was looking for some insight as to what it is Drill Instructor school like? I have heard boot camp x10, I have also heard that it is like any PME academy. I would like any good information anyone may have. Thanks

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You are heading to DI school in 2 months.
    Your Rank is E-7.
    You have been in the " Corps " for 11 years.

If find it hard to beleive that a Marine with your experience would not know anyone that was a Drill Instructor and would have the answers for you and/or you should already have the Heads Up since it is You that is going.

Your profile looks a little shakey also ?

Rhode Island, I am not sure as to why you think my profile looks "shakey", but I have in fact been in the Marine Corps since June of 2001. I was prototed to GySgt on June 1st, 2012 and I am not currently in contact with anyone who has been a DI. My MOS is Air Traffic Control, and my monitor has always "blocked" Marines from leaving for B Billets as we are generally a career-critical MOS. Recently there was a "modified" HSST list that came out and I was selected for DI duty. Thank-you for your help however though

DI School

Gunny, in response to your querry about DI School, you're in for a life changing event. It will pay off in dividends for the rest of your time in the Corps,if you take it serious. You'll be a SgtMajor with less than 16 years or maybe M/GySgt.
    I had a S/Sgt Air Traffic Controller at the Helicopter Station at Tustin, California in 1973 just before I retired. He was selected for Gy/Sgt with 7 years but declined and went on to retire from LAX in the past 3 years. I talked to him last year and asked if he was sorry that he got out and he gave me a half hearted reply. I gave it up at 19 years, 6 months and 12 days after being selected for SgtMajor and I've had a few thoughts on it but, none to my detriment.
    Good luck in your endeavors and you'll do just fine. I may even see you at one of the annual Drill Instructor's Reunions in the coming years.
    Semper Fi,
    Jerry Mell

1stSgt, thank-you for you're response. That does seem to be a big positive...everyone I talk to says that it can make my career. Thank-you for you're service, and I will no doubt go towards DI school with 100% focus and determination
    Semper Fi

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clagettr View Post
    Rhode Island, I am not sure as to why you think my profile looks "shakey"
    Because it was not complete per site rules.
    Looks good now though.

Thank you Gunny and Good Luck to you.

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Id likento view info on DI school also since I have my sights on this billet as soon as I pick up Sgt.....

Congrats also gunny

I too got hit on the HSST. I go in april..... it should be "fun".

Been 46 years since I attended D.I. School. I am guessing that it has really changed in that time period. We had lots of drill, TMI, P.T. and more P.T. After graduation it was bird dog for a week, then down to work. It was a very busy time at the Recruit Depots, but I enjoyed every minute of it. Good luck to those Marines who step up to become a Drill Instructor.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Been 46 years since I attended D.I. School. I am guessing that it has really changed in that time period. We had lots of drill, TMI, P.T. and more P.T. After graduation it was bird dog for a week, then down to work. It was a very busy time at the Recruit Depots, but I enjoyed every minute of it. Good luck to those Marines who step up to become a Drill Instructor.

Were you at P.I. or S.D. ? just curious ? As I was on P.I. in 68 2nd Bn. "D" Co.

I got to wear the cool shades and listen to jet aircraft take off all day. 2nd Bn, "E" and "G" Company. Also did some time as Regimental S-4 Chief.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    I got to wear the cool shades and listen to jet aircraft take off all day. 2nd Bn, "E" and "G" Company. Also did some time as Regimental S-4 Chief.
    Well ! I took off on many of those jets you heard from 69-70

Thread Information