Supply 3051 MOS or Infantry 0311 MOS?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Post Supply 3051 MOS or Infantry 0311 MOS?

I'm 26 years old have wanted to be in the military since I was 18. I have a three year old son with my ex. I see him weekly and provide financial support for him. I live with my current girlfriend of two years. (She's 21) Prior to speaking with a recruiter I've visited this site to gain knowledge on subjects. As well as FutureJarheads.com. Right now I'm waiting to go back to Meps so that I can swear in. (Just waiting on a dependent waiver...) I have a few questions so if any Marines would be kind to give me advice it would be greatly appreciated. Alright, I took the Asvab test and didn't score high enough for a mechanic/technical MOS. My recruiter told me that I have the option of Infantry or Supply. Now, I had read about how line scores determine which job you will be placed in within your MOS.

For Supply I would be placed in 3051 Warehouse Clerk, I've read posts about how it doesn't help you transition to civilian life and all that. But that it promotes faster than say Infantry. My only problem is that from what I see, alot of Marines try to lat-move out of that MOS. So I'm apprehensive about choosing it. (Unless its the only option available) As for Infantry (0311) I really want to get the experience. I know its not easy. I'm fine with that, I just feel I'd maybe do better in that field. I mean I work as a cashier in a department store now. I'd like to do something I could never do anywhere else. On one forum I read, one Supply Marine was saying telling a poolee that he wouldn't impress an employer by telling them that he worked at a warehouse in the Marine Corps.
    (Although I know that Supply is a very important job, as well as any job) However, I've been told that it doesn't matter what MOS you were in. Because an employer will see that you're dedicated, disciplined and loyal. I've thought about choosing Supply, mainly because I'd want more time to spend with my woman, obtain higher rank and settle down.

Now I know everyone may think that its a bad idea, but we wanted to get married after I get to my permanent duty station. That or at least after my first year. But, I don't want to choose something just based on a relationship because things may not work out a year from now. Regardless of what I choose I plan on going to a trade school after my first enlistment. So, I'd like to know if any Marines in the Infantry or Supply fields could do it all over again, out of the two...which would you choose?

I appreciate your time and advice.

i started out 3051 in 1952 when i went to supply school then was traing in the paperwork end of supply and wound up 3049 supply chief when i retired this place u for work in civilian life as purching agent or wahouse man for company large and small so its a good field to be in and yest u get in the field an at time u even get shoot at if you are lucky u live to tell about it to the grand kids

I am not supply nor infantry, but have friends from both sides of the house. and if your thinking about jobs when you get out. Supply is more promotable then professional a$$ kicker, unless your going to get a job with these contractors who do jobs for the military.

You also need to think that they are working on downsizing the Corps. When this happens promotions are going to start slowing down big time they already are in some feilds. It used to be you had 12 years to pick up SSgt or youd have to get out, now they dropped it down to 10 years. The last 10 years it has been pretty easy to get Sgt in 4 years and SSgt a couple years later but that could change. So if supply is promoting faster, and you'd like to stay in the Corps for 20 it may be the way to go.
    You can do things to get promoted faster, like being motivated and getting selected to go on promotion boards which they usually do for older guys who join late since they are usually more mature and willing to work hard, but thats assuming you have good NCO's taking care of you.

Do you have any college degrees? I may even suggest the officer route. May be weird for you having 18 year olds telling you what to do once you get to the fleet especially if you go infantry. You have to learn to take orders from whoever is above you in rank, or someone could be killed. Its cool when your in the fight, but they they are telling you hey PFC go clean the head someone clogged it and your lowest on todem pole. Sucks to be you at that point.

Getting married? LOL thats up to you, but if she hasnt been around the military lifestyle, getting used to how things works is a hard transition for a lot of girls and winds up ruining a lot of realtionships. They dont understand the odd hours you sometimes have to put in, when you have to go to field training and cant come home leaving them alone, or they get frustrated with the moving. If you go recruiter or drill instructor to try to help yourself get promoted faster, you work crazy hours. It becomes a lot for them to deal with. Plus your going to have so many girls that just come your way because your a Marine. If you LIKE girls thats a challenge having to say no because you brought sand to the beach.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    hahaha well said SSgt^^

At 26 years old I would suggest going with supply or something similar, I have nothing but respect for the grunts and the job they do especially after seeing them in direct action in Afghanistan recently but your life is gonna suck as a 26/27 year old boot PFC/LCpl. You will have 19-21 year old salty 2 pump veteran Cpl and LCpls that will be your fire team and squad leaders that don't care how old you are. I joined the Corps at 23 back in 2008 and while I have had a blast in the last 4 years there have been times that I had to bite my tongue about things.

Not to say that the same or similar couldnt happen with being supply but the lifestyle isn't quite as high speed but a bit more laid back. You will be in more of a working professional relationship with your NCO's and highers.

This is mostly opinion really based on my experiences and what I would personally do.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you all for the advice. I decided to go for the Supply MOS of choice. (because of the downsizing and war dying down) Hopefully I'll get that, my recruiter told me he'd try to get me something. Either way I'm more than willing to serve. As for the relationship side of things with my current girlfriend. I'm going to hold off on that for now. I'm going to wait and see how things go as I progress throughout my military career.

Thread Information