Training/Deployment Schedule
Create Post
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Training/Deployment Schedule

I'm a hopeful soon to be poolee as I will be headed to MEPS within the coming month. I was wondering how long it takes an infantry Marine to be ready for deployment. As in, from the first day of boot camp, how long would it take for the Marine to be in a combat ready unit in the fleet? My understanding is that my ship date, if I'm accepted, would be anywhere from late summer to December. So, if my ship date was in August 2013, or I guess even December 2013, would I possibly make it on a deployment to Afghanistan?

I ask because I'll be doing job selection soon, and I've been thinking about some different things. Also, I'm going to go active so I am aware that I can only request a field, and believe me, I understand that just becoming a Marine is the most important achievement. If there was a possibility that I would deploy then I will try try to get an 03xx and stay there. However, if it will be too late then I may try to attain a special contract such as Security Forces which would then place me back into infantry after my time in the secondary MOS.

I just want to ensure I am in a position to help other Marines as much as I can, and make myself the best Marine I can be. Thank you very much Marines, I really appreciate it.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Deploying and going to Afghanistan will all depend on where and who you get stationed with after SOI. The Marine Corps is in the process of drawing down out there and a lot of the units got pulled from the usual rotation. Take quite few guys I went to boot camp with for example, went to boot camp 4 years ago and about the time we/they all graduated from SOI 1st and 4th Marine Regiment was hurting for bodies so quite a few guys all went to those units. At that time though was when they all got done deploying to Iraq numerous time so they got pulled from the rotations going to Afghanistan over the recent years.

To say what the rotation will be like by the time you hit the fleet is almost impossible. If you become a grunt you will deploy but it may be on a MEU, not necessarily in country somewhere.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Understood. Thank you very much for the good info.

Thread Information