College credits
Create Post

Thread: College credits

College credits

Good evening, Marines.

I am a 26 year old wanna be. Currently over weight and putting myself through a rigorous 24 week training before I speak with a recruiter.
    My situation is this. I have a GED and understand that I will need 15 credits to be recruited. Does anyone know how long that might take me to accomplish? Would the standard liberal arts classes at my community college suffice?
    I've been to two tech schools where I've done architecture and another where I've done diesel tech. Im pretty sure that these won't help my chances of being recruited but might help in a mos.
    My only worry is that I'll be over the 28 year old cut off before all paper work is filled, meps, ship date and the completion of my required 15 credits. Any and all info and advice is appreciated. Thank you.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    It's possible to complete 15 credit hours in one semester, which equates to about 5 classes. It won't be easy but can be done if it is what you really want. And yes any basic classes will work just fine(english, math/algebra, computer, history, etc..).

I am not going to give you high hopes of chances of getting in. Fact of the matter is right now with the draw down in Afghanistan and the Corps itself sizing down and restructuring, we have the luxury right now and in the future of being very selective of who they let in and enlist. But best of luck and keep it it.

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    It's possible to complete 15 credit hours in one semester, which equates to about 5 classes. It won't be easy but can be done if it is what you really want. And yes any basic classes will work just fine(english, math/algebra, computer, history, etc..).

I am not going to give you high hopes of chances of getting in. Fact of the matter is right now with the draw down in Afghanistan and the Corps itself sizing down and restructuring, we have the luxury right now and in the future of being very selective of who they let in and enlist. But best of luck and keep it it.
    Thank you for your reply. I am being realistic about this more than I am having high hopes for it. Especially knowing, as you stated, that recruiting is more selective now with the downsizing of the forces.

This is what I really want and im more than willing to work as hard as it takes and then some to make this happen. Worst case scenario is that I won't be recruited. Best case is ill be in the best shape of my life and have 15 credits toward a degree as well as knowing that i did try and tried my best. Thank you again.

Being a full time college student is considered anywhere from 12 to 19 credits per semester. You are completely within the realm of possibility to make it. I was overweight and made the PT standards when I signed up. I was also still going to college at the time. In my last semester I took 27 credits, worked full time and was able to lose the 20 lbs I needed to. Don't let anyone discourage you from anything. It will suck, and you are going to have to make a lot sacrifices but if it is something you want then it is worth it. Something that will help your case is actually talking to a recruiter now. They may not sign you up, but they may be able to help you achieve your goals. That will also help you later because if someone brings up any issues with your age or fitness they will be able to show records of your progress.

Don't just work on your PT, also work on your diet. There are a lot of different options out there, but the basics all cut out carbs (mainly bread but any sugar is a carb). The diet and workout combo that worked best for me was paleo diet and crossfit. PM me if you have any more questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Subsum44 View Post
    Being a full time college student is considered anywhere from 12 to 19 credits per semester. You are completely within the realm of possibility to make it. I was overweight and made the PT standards when I signed up. I was also still going to college at the time. In my last semester I took 27 credits, worked full time and was able to lose the 20 lbs I needed to. Don't let anyone discourage you from anything. It will suck, and you are going to have to make a lot sacrifices but if it is something you want then it is worth it. Something that will help your case is actually talking to a recruiter now. They may not sign you up, but they may be able to help you achieve your goals. That will also help you later because if someone brings up any issues with your age or fitness they will be able to show records of your progress.

Don't just work on your PT, also work on your diet. There are a lot of different options out there, but the basics all cut out carbs (mainly bread but any sugar is a carb). The diet and workout combo that worked best for me was paleo diet and crossfit. PM me if you have any more questions.
    Thank you for your reply. I'm definitely more motivated than I have been in a long time. My possible recruitment into the Marine Corp is the only thing I want right now and believe me I'm working very hard for it.

My diet has improved immensely. A lot of fresh produce, lean cuts of meat and poultry. Eating a lot of high protein low carb meals. And so far I have lost 5 lbs. My strength has greatly increased as well. I'm up six more pushups, down 25 seconds on my mile and I just feel over all better. I will look into the paleo diet. As for crossfit, although there is one close to me, its just too expensive.

I do plan on talking to a recruiter this month. I know the sooner the better. I was wondering though if it is at all possible that he may give me a practice asvab and if I score high on it would he might look into a waiver for my lack of education. Again I do understand that with the downsizing waivers are more likely to be denied but I have been studying the book a lot and have scored high 80s low 90s on the practice tests. This is not to say that I'm not looking into obtaining my 15 credits because I am. I just have heard from a few poolees that they were recruited with a ged and a good score on the asvab. Any opinions on that route?

Thanks again for your comment and advice.

I understand crossfit being more expensive. I could only afford it before I shipped because the guy running my box was an Marine before and so he cut me a break. Just do some of their workouts, they usually post a daily workout, and do it at whatever gym you go to. I design my own and do them at the regular gym here on base.

Glad to hear your diet changed and that you are more motivated now. I was very much the same way, and it really helps. Don't lose that motivation, no matter how hard it gets.

I don't know what to tell you about getting past the credit requirement. Not saying its not possible, just haven't dealt with it myself. Look online, I know that military.com has a few practice asvabs on there, and the recruiter will defiantly help a lot. Keep me posted on your progress, best of luck.

Thread Information