Starting a family
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question Starting a family

I play on joining the Marines after highschool. Im 16 years old and will be a Junior this upcoming year. I want to be in reconnaissance , and im training nearly every day for the pft to get a perfect score. Thats not what im here to talk about though. Ive always wanted to have kids and make a family of my own. Im wondering since im joining straight out of highschool , will i ever have time to find a wife and have children? Or would i be better off on my own.

Thanks to anybody who can give me any kind of advice

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Lisa 23; 08-13-13 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Marines is always capittalized on this site....site rules.

While it's nice that you're looking ahead to your future, how about you take it one step at a time. You have to meet with a recruiter and take the ASVAB. Hopefully, you won't need any medical or criminal waivers.
    For now, enjoy your high school years, stay out of trouble, get good grades, and get that high school diploma.

Credits
    Savings
    Perhaps you'd enjoy the Young Marines ?

I don't have details -- age limits etc.
    Someone on this site does I'd hazard a guess ---

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Perhaps you'd enjoy the Young Marines ?

I don't have details -- age limits etc.
    Someone on this site does I'd hazard a guess ---
    Don't know the particulars but all the Young Marines I've been exposed to were Boy Scout age. Highschool may be a little too old. Plus, not all cities have chapters. I'm sure there's info on the internet about them if the OP is interested.

As a junior, you're eligible to contact a recruiter. You can bring this question up with them during your meeting. Let us know how your meeting goes.

When and if the time comes young wanna-b, the Marine Corps will issue you 1.

Try "Devil Pups" you may find that you do not have the desire for the Corps after a week of being a Devil Pup. I really do not know that they still exhist, but all you have to do is google it. I do know that they used to train at Camp Pendleton (San Onafre)

Post #6 is correct.

Credits
    Savings
    Old Marine

I will look into "Devil Pups" ,i dont think i will lose any desire however. It has been my dream to be a Marine since i could walk. Im extremely motivated and theres no doubt in my mind i will one day have the honor of being called a Marine. Thank you all for your input , it is greatly appreciated. Expect to see me back on this site in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Try "Devil Pups" you may find that you do not have the desire for the Corps after a week of being a Devil Pup. I really do not know that they still exhist, but all you have to do is google it. I do know that they used to train at Camp Pendleton (San Onafre)

Post #6 is correct.
    I was in San Onofre with the SOI (permanent personnel - not a student) and the 1st Combat Engineer Battalion. Devil Pups wore jeans, blue shirt with a yellow bandanna, web belt with canteen, and a baseball cap. This was back in the 80's - don't know if they still exist.

Quote Originally Posted by CParker View Post
    Old Marine

I will look into "Devil Pups" ,i dont think i will lose any desire however. It has been my dream to be a Marine since i could walk. Im extremely motivated and theres no doubt in my mind i will one day have the honor of being called a Marine. Thank you all for your input , it is greatly appreciated. Expect to see me back on this site in a few years.
    So, you're not going to give us a report on your meeting with the recruiter?

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    So, you're not going to give us a report on your meeting with the recruiter?
    Last time I met with a recruiter was in July of 1953 when I enlisted. LOL.

I searched google and found that to be eligible for Devil Pups a kid has to be a resident of Ca., Az., or Nv.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CParker View Post
    Thank you all for your input , it is greatly appreciated. Expect to see me back on this site in a few years.
    Wow, you just got here.
    Hang around and keep us posted...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Cparker,
    Should you enlist, your plate will be full.
    Your body and brain will change a lot, your outlook on how to live life will change.
    The Handbook for Marine NCOs (1970) suggests that a Marine should not marry until reaching E6 (Staff Sgt).
    Looking back, I'm glad I followed that advice.

Credits
    Savings
    Alright alright i suppose i could stick around. I feel kind of misplaced being a wannabe though, but i do like the community here youre all great.

We were all wannabes at some point. Of course, most of us never had the benefit of forums like this one - our recruiter was pretty much all the resource/support available to us. About all we ask from wannabes here is to be respectful of our title (we earned it) and to show initiative (don't expect us to search for info on the internet that you are capable of searching). We don't mind giving advice and our personal experiences but we're not going to do your work for you. Site rules also say you must use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling (you are not texting us). So, watch those "i's".

Thread Information