Any way to practically guarantee an MOS selection ?
Create Post

Any way to practically guarantee an MOS selection ?

Hey again Marines.

My question today is about my MOS selections. My first choice was infantry, second being combat correspondent, third being tank and amphibious assault vehicle. But I really have no desire for anything but infantry. I want to know how to jobs are determined for an applicant based off their 3 selections, and if I am allowed to wait for an opening in infantry, or how all this works?

Thanks again Marines

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    Jobs. Jobs? Youre joining the Marine Corps right? We dont do no jobs in the Marine Corps. We have MOSs. And if you want to know what a Marine does in an MOS google it. Infantry isnt a job, its a way of life. If you filed out that dream sheet of your top 3 choices then what you get is based on the needs of the Marine Corps at the time.

Thanks for the response Marine. That was my mistake, I do know that it is MOS that was an error on my behalf as a result of me being in a hurry as I was on break and strapped for time. I apologize. I have heard of people/poolee waiting for there preferred MOS selection to open up and then having it offered to them. Is that possible ?

Shipley, your question would be a good one to ask of your recruiter. Most of the answers here will be speculation, unless a recruiter answers, and there were a few on this site, but I haven't seen them around in ages.

Here is an interesting post at military.com close to the subject:

http://forums.military.com/eve/forum.../1150051982001

You recruiter is busy, but he is YOUR recruiter. I think the simple answer to your question is, yes, it can be done, but the reality is in the process you might end up a creek without a paddle, if you know what I mean. Read that thread at the link above.

Thank you MOS4429. That post helped and answer my question on how to handle the situation. Thanks so much for even more advice lol

Can you write? Know what a style book is? Know how to compose a story? Any experience in photography (not point 'n shoot stuff)?

If you can honestly answer "yes" to the above, "maybe" you can become a combat correspondent (CC). Being a CC is not always a picnic. Try standing up in a hail of bullets for at least 10 seconds filming. Or, getting the story without a weapon...maybe a pistol that's like a slingshot against an AK. Good luck. If you become a CC, you will be a part of a very exclusive group. In Vietnam CC KIA casualties higher than WWII. Good luck.

S/F
    Member Board of Directors
    USMC Combat Correspondents Assn

Thread Information