Trying to enter Marines.
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Trying to enter Marines.

Hi. Hope everyone is well and having a pleasant summer.

I am 24, almost 25 this year, and am starting school full time in September. I am one year away from my bachelors degree. I am thinking about joining the Marine Corps next summer yet I am unsure as to what route I would like to go.

One of my problems may be a OUI charge I had in 2006, in 2008 I received a not guilty in a jury trial. The other issue is a restraining order I received from a former girlfriend although she never showed up in court to follow through and it was dismissed. Although I have been in trouble before I have never really done anything everyone else hasn't.

I am fit, already have an ASVAB score on record (from early 2011) and am unsure of what to do. What do most people in my situation do?

Advice? It would be appreciated. I'd like to know where the Officer selection offices are located in western Massachusetts. In the Springfield area.

Thank you for reading.

- Sean.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Based on the fact that you are so close to finishing school I would suggest getting a package started with the OSO in your area and try to go the officer route if you think that being an officer is right for you. If because of your charges and/or restraining order you can't go that direction then go ahead and talk to a recruiter to try and enlist.

OSO
    105 East Street
    Chicopee, MA 01020

Stay in school and finish your degree (you're too close to quit). Talk to the OSO, explain your situation, and get their feedback. Reealvuate your goals and then formulate a plan.

Good luck.

Well to piggy back off of what has just been suggested to you, Obviously I think you should finish college. If you really want to join the USMC then I would go the Officer route. Since the Marine Corps is shrinking, and they are really becoming strict on who they let in. Your back "might" cause a problem, but that is not a reason not to try. I would just recommend that you make sure this is something you want before you proceed any further into joining the military.

best of luck

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you to everyone who replied.

Credits
    Savings
    Hello. I would like to follow up. That phone number that you were good enough to provide is a non-working number. But I will take your advice and finish school (what I wanted to do anyway) and try my best to Commission, first.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMR101587 View Post
    Hello. I would like to follow up. That phone number that you were good enough to provide is a non-working number. But I will take your advice and finish school (what I wanted to do anyway) and try my best to Commission, first.
    I got that phone number from an OCS website, if it is not working/incorrect I apologize. Contact a regular recruiting office in your area and ask them for the OSO number, they should have it. Just don't let them sell you on enlisting.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You registered yourself as a Poolee/DEP.
    You are not.
    Status changed to " Marine Friend ".

Last edited by Rocky C; 08-07-12 at 06:53 PM.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    I got that phone number from an OCS website, if it is not working/incorrect I apologize. Contact a regular recruiting office in your area and ask them for the OSO number, they should have it. Just don't let them sell you on enlisting.

Thats fine. Thank you.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhode Island View Post
    You registered yourself as a Poolee/DEP.
    You are not.
    Status changed to " Marine Friend ".
    You are correct. That was my direction though, when I created this account some years ago. Glad we got that all cleared up.

Thread Information