Unit / Platoon designations
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member noblemd's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Unit / Platoon designations

Hello Marines!

I'm a research assistant for a well known author. We have regular Publicaffairs contacts at the USAF, but she could not answer accurately a question about the Marines (guess only).

It takes several weeks (sometimes months) to establish a PA contact at aparticular branch of the service.

In the novel a fictitious MARSOC MSOB Platoon is involved in an anti-terror(future) operation.

My question is: How are particular Platoons identified (radio traffic, reports and etc.).

How would 5th Battalion MSOB, 4th Company, (X) Platoon be referred to andidentified?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Topic closed until you have a complete profile besides a first and last name....site rules, which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums. PM any Squad Leader from the Squad Leaders sticky in the Ask A Marine forum when your profile is complete, and then your topic will be reopened.

Could you give an example of how this would be used in context? For instance, where the Marines are stationed, changes what unit they are from example: Okinawa/Japan - 1st Marine Air Wing
    Camp Pendleton - 2nd Marine Air Wing

Camp Pendleton - 1 Mar Div etc.

Radio designations are often selected by the particular unit, and most commonly somehow reflect what their specialty is. Steel Rain - Artillery. Assassin - Recon or whatever you would like.

It sounds like you might be writing about a MEU (Marine Expeditionary Unit) or MEF (Marine Expeditionary Force). These units will have a combination of personnel from larger parent units.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for your reply.

If Marine officer were telling another Marine Officer to contact LT Smith commander of a Platoon in the MSOR, 4th MSOB, ?? Company, ??Platoon

(no such Battallion as 4th MSOB - we don't use real unit numbers/names in the books - unless very well know.)

The ?? are also items I need clarified - How are companies and platoons numbered/named? Is 4th Company 3rd Platoon correct or are they referred to someother way - do they have names or letters instead of numbers?

How would the 2 Officers refer to the particular Platoon. (differentiating it from another Platoon in the same Company/Battalion). Would they use some sort of abbreviated (shorthand)name?

I have seen references to 4/3 meaning 4th of the 3rd (need to clarify meaning also 4th what of 3rd what?).

Credits
    Savings
    To clarify:

MSOR - Marine Special Operations Regiment, part of MARSOC.

MSOB - Marine Special Operations Battalion 1st, 2nd, 3rd are the real Battalion numbers.

We will use 4th or 5th because there is no such Battalion.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    4/3 would refer to 4th Battalion and 3rd Marine Regiment(I don't believe is an actual unit). But this same numbering would refer to any other #battalion/#regiment when you see it like that. Which would also fall under of one of the Marine divisions.

As for Company level, most companies are referred to as a letter
    phonetically(A=Alpha, B=Bravo, C=Charlie, etc...). Some exceptions include infantry weapons companies and H&S(headquarters and support) company.

And platoons are just referred to by their number(1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc..). With some exceptions obviously for certain companies, what the MOS/field is, and a few other factors.

here is a breakdown of how it goes to give you an idea...gonna use a buddy of mine for this purpose..

1st Marine Division
    1/4 (1st Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment)
    Bravo Co.
    2nd Platoon
    1st Squad

Josephd explained this perfectly. Any other questions?

Outstanding job josephd!

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the info about company and platoon names.

Just to be certain I am understanding-

Would it be appropriate to refer to a Marine in the Marine Special OperationsRegiment, 4th Marine Special Operations Battalion, Bravo Company, 3rd Platoonas:

(don't think I have to mention MSOR becuase MSOBs only exists in the MSOR - at least as far as I can find out)

4th MSOB
    Bravo Co.
    3rd Platoon

or in this case since 4th MSOB is the only Battalion taking part in the missionwould just refering to:

Bravo Co.
    3rd Platoon

be sufficient?

Credits
    Savings
    I just obtained more information about Marine Special Operations Battalions. Apparently the MSOBs contain the standard 4 Companies, but the Companies do not contain Platoons.

Each company is comprised of 4 Marine Special Operations Teams commanded by a Captain and containing 15 men. 3 fire teams, a Navy corpsman and a radio operator.

An MSOT is capable of operating independently or as part of a larger combined force.

So, if I understand your replies, unit designations would be:

4th MSOB (Fictitious Battalion)
    Bravo Co.
    3rd MSOT

or simply,

Bravo Co.
    3rd MSOT

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noblemd View Post
    I just obtained more information about Marine Special Operations Battalions. Apparently the MSOBs contain the standard 4 Companies, but the Companies do not contain Platoons.

Each company is comprised of 4 Marine Special Operations Teams commanded by a Captain and containing 15 men. 3 fire teams, a Navy corpsman and a radio operator.

An MSOT is capable of operating independently or as part of a larger combined force.

So, if I understand your replies, unit designations would be:

4th MSOB (Fictitious Battalion)
    Bravo Co.
    3rd MSOT

or simply,

Bravo Co.
    3rd MSOT
    I am not trying to confuse you at all but a 4th Battalion would not have a Bravo Co. The company breakdown is based on what battalion designation # is.

example: 1st Battalion would be A, B, C, D. 2nd would be E, F, G, H. 3rd would be I, no J, K, L, M.

So to try and be as accurate as you can going forward with the 4th Bn thing you're going with. You would want to go with November, Oscar, Papa, or Quebec as a company.

This is a minor detail though so I wouldn't worry about it much.

hahahahaha also keep in mind that the only 4th battalion(that I am aware of) in the Corps is the female recruit training battalion at Parris Island, SC. Might not want to be associated in any way with that especially being a special ops theme.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for clarifying the company designations and the info about the 4th Battalion. That is exactly the kind of detail/info we are looking for.

josephd,

There are 4th battalions other than the female recruit training battalion. 4th battalion is most commonly a reserve unit, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rps_battalions

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant M View Post
    josephd,

There are 4th battalions other than the female recruit training battalion. 4th battalion is most commonly a reserve unit, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rps_battalions

Yes I am aware of the 4th(reserve) Battalions that do exist, I was more referring to conventional infantry battalions and trying to keep it simple for this guy asking questions

Thread Information