Opportunities after service
Create Post

Opportunities after service

I am a recent college graduate and I'm genuinely interested in joining the Marines as an Officer. The biggest question/concern I have though, that never seems to really gets answered is this:

What kind of options career-wise, do Marines have after they're done? I understand its up to the individual and which field they would like to pursue, but do you feel that being an Officer within the Marines helps you out professionally after your service? Or do you feel like you have to start back up from where you left off?

I know the Marines will help me grow as an individual, but if I happen to be done after 4,8,12 or however many years, am I going to have to pick up from where I left off after graduating college? Or will I be given greater opportunities?

And I only ask all this because I'm trying to evaluate the best path for my future. Any responses would be greatly appreciate it.

You just finished college, right?

So, basically you are at Square 1 right now. Square 2 is either get a job or join the Marines.

If you join the Marines, provided you do not get an OTH (Other Than Honorable) discharge or KIA/MIA (Killed In Action/Missing In Action), at the end of your military service you will be where? Answer: Back to Square 1.

The 2nd time you visit Square 1, you will have military experience and maybe a better idea of what it is you want to do with your life. Again, you can get a job or ...stay in!

Basically, as long as you don't screw yourself in the service, there really isn't a down side to it. On the plus side, you will have the pride of being a Veteran and a member of America's finest fighting force.

I have never met anyone who told me I made a mistake for joining the Marines over 25 years ago. For that matter, I have never met anyone who joined the service (any branch) that was told they made a mistake.

I'm sure our Viet Nam Veterans have a much different story to tell, but this was due to problems in America with the whole Drugs and Flower Power movement that turned into a "bad trip."

Take this for what you want. I don't know if this helps any.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    If you graduate OCS and commission as an officer, even if you get out after say only 4 years you will still be leaps and bounds above anyone in your age group or anyone that just has a 4 yr degree.

Will you be back to square one?...yes but with the experience, leadership, connections, and security clearance you'll have I wouldn't worry about trying to find a job. Keep in mind though this is also all on how you market yourself and how much leg work you put into the civilian job market when you get out.

Never been an officer so can't say how it will benefit you after you get out; if you'll be back to square one or not.

But, I have lead Marines and I can tell you from experience, it's the best job in the world and one you will never regret.

Good luck.

Thank you for all the responses. I'll take this into consideration as I move forward in the process of applying to OCS. And if you all have any other comments or pieces of advice I'm all ears. The more information I can get, the better suited for the future I'll be.

Thread Information