DQ'd for a tattoo
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member jjones's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

DQ'd for a tattoo

I want to say thank you to all the marines who put together this site that has been very helpful. I have read this forum and I have learned how to ask questions, and how not to ask questions. I have also filled out my profile with all the information I could have possibly filled out. I have done research on this forum and I could not seem to find a thread/post that could relate to my situation.

My question is this, i have been DQ'd for my tattoos. I was told by 2 recuriting offices that my tattoos are above my collar bone. However, my mother used to date a SSgt and I sent him a picture of my chest. He said that i should not have been DQ'd. I also have a few other friends that are marines, and they said the same thing. I have a picture of my chest as my avatar. Is there anything I can do as far as writing a letter or trying to get a decision appealed?

If it helps, I have also read the following post:
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...EAD-THIS-FIRST
    And this post was a very good one, but I don't know if its updated to 2012 tattoo policy.

Any and all information is helpful. Thank you.

Marine Friend Free Member jjones's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Oh, I have my grandmothers birth year on my right shoulder above my star (maybe about an 1inch above the collar bone) and the same on the left side (only its the year she died)

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Only thing I could suggest is going to another recruiter, tell him the situation, and see if he'll try and push it through.

The Marine Corps has the ability right now to be very selective as to who they are allowing to join our ranks. If the recruiter and the command feel that you do not fit with what they want or if they have better qualified candidates obviously they are going to do what they need to do. It sucks but it is reality, should have thought a bit more about your tattoo choices when you got 'em.

The biggest thing here is probably that the Marine Corps and all branches are downsizing significantly. That means they have to start really cracking down on the rules at the recruitment level. The general rule is if it shows in PT gear it has to be able to be covered up by your hand. If you have any tattoos that show on your neck, I am almost certain that will get you disqualified right away.

However, from the sounds of it neither is the case. I would try to talk to them and see if the tattoo is the only reason or if there is something else (my RSS said they were going to have to start only accepting people with first class PFTs just before I left because they had too many people in the DEP.)

[QUOTE=josephd;866314]Only thing I could suggest is going to another recruiter, tell him the situation, and see if he'll try and push it through. {QUOE]

Different recruiter is not going to change the answer (the OP has already been to two RSS's). The recruiters know the policy of their District's Commanding Officer. They know what waivers they can and can't send up.

The mother's ex-boyfriend and other USMC friends are not recruiters so their opinions don't matter. They may be looking at it from an active duty perspective which is different than an applicant's obviously.

You can write all the appeal letters you want to if it will make you feel better. They will not make a difference in your case. Give the letters to your recruiter; the shredder in their office is as far as they're going to go.

As bad as we all hate to be told "no", there comes a time when we have to accept it and move on.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    when was you mas b-friend in? 1965? i would say th epolicy hsa changed since then. there are tatoos rules and looks like your are against the rules and thats just the way i t is.

try this instead: go see if the Army will take you or maybe the Navy.

Thread Information