dont know if i should choose linguist or not, ship out in september
Create Post

dont know if i should choose linguist or not, ship out in september

ok first of all my asvab score is 78. my line scores are mm 092 gt 106 el 106 and cl 114. so im not too bad mentally. at first i wanted to join the corps because i feel that a traditional military experience would be to enlist as an infantryman and thats how i would like to serve my country. i want to do something exciting and well worth my time for the next couple years. deciding on a job for the next four to five years is also a serious decision. right now my contract is open and i have ample time, i leave at the end of september. now the issue is that im really interested in other cultures and especially in learning languages. i learned spanish pretty quickly in school and im good at english and grammar and all that. so if i was to become a linguist, that would be job opprotunities out the wazoo when i get out. like living abroad and teaching foreign people english i think i could dig that. however im a very active guy and done sports since age 4. i HATE to sit around. and i have read around these forums and saw that most linguists dont see a lot of "action" but since they are intel they get to see some inside things, which could be equally thrilling i suppose. i guess i want to know if i get a first class pt at bootcamp will i be able to do a more "exciting" linguist type job? if so i will work my butt off to get a first class pt but if its probable that being a linguist will lead up to a boring lifestyle stuck on a radio or reading papers all day i might just wait for an infantry slot to open up and take up learning a new language on my own time. iv already told my recruiter im interested and tomorrow when i call if im still into the idea, were gonna get me set up to take the dlab. so im looking for some good insight on this subject i hate to turn down the opprotunity to learn a new language from a military institution but im not bread to just sit there. thanks Marines!

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Your PFT score isn't going to have much bearing if any really on what you will do in the linguist field or any MOS really.

If you know for a fact you can get into a linguist contract I would jump on that in an instant! It can open up so many doors for you in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    Your PFT score isn't going to have much bearing if any really on what you will do in the linguist field or any MOS really.

If you know for a fact you can get into a linguist contract I would jump on that in an instant! It can open up so many doors for you in the future.

I second that, I think you'll find a lot of great opportunities in the 2600 field.

ya im leaning that way since it seems like infantry just runs around in the sand only to get shot at by an ied or step on a land mine or something and not even get to see who they are shooting at. thats the way it seems from what i have read anyways..

lol, i hope there's no infantry on here..

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jekudo View Post
    ya im leaning that way since it seems like infantry just runs around in the sand only to get shot at by an ied or step on a land mine or something and not even get to see who they are shooting at. thats the way it seems from what i have read anyways..
    yes and no...

Grunts(or any Marine for that matter) do not just run around aimlessly in the desert looking to get into a firefight. There is a rhyme and reason for every single mission/patrol that goes out and they are usually VERY well thought and planned out in order to mitigate risks

sorry i didnt mean that in a disrespectful way to any infantry Marines

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by jekudo View Post
    ya ,
    im leaning that way ,
    since it seems like infantry ,
    just runs around in the sand ,
    only to get shot at by an ied ,
    or step on a land mine ,
    or something ,
    and not even get to see who they are shooting at.

thats the way it seems from what i have read anyways..
    $hit kid,
    you'd probibly get your legs blown off from running with your head up your anus
    IF you ever got the chance to work or be near "Grunts"

Do yourself a favor , consider just how smart you are, and go enlist in the Airforce,
    Navy, Army...

You'll save yourself a lot of heart-ache's , and maybe a dozen or so
    "THUMPINGS"

Reading some of these posts about "what I want to do in the Corps" really sets me to pulling my hair out. Remember one very clear declaration, "It's NOT what YOU want, but the Corps." I've said it before in other posts but worth repeating here, EVERYONE -- even the Commandant's principal mission is to support the Grunts. Without the 03-ers, the Marine Corps would cease to exist. Sooner you understand this, better your chances making it in the Corps. Like the previous poster stated, best you consider another branch of service if you think Grunts are second class citizens in the hierarchy of Marine Corps command. And I'm not even a Grunt!

It will defiently be well worth the time to spend your four years doing working parties, but if you have the opportunity go linguist you mind as well take a shot at it. You never know where that might take you.

But what it usually comes down to it is what do you want out of life?

Thread Information