My son wants to join the DEP - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marine Family Free Member Marinemom32's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    My son also joined when he was 17, he was in DEP for almost a year, and of course I had to sign the parental consent form because he was only 17. Was so hard for me to do, but I did it knowing I could support him right now, instead of him turning 18 and doing it anyway, which he told me he would have done, but he said he would prefer my blessing. He will be fine his recruiter will prepare him, make sure he goes to all the poolee functions and all PT. As for you, do as much research as you can. Nothing can really prepare you for the feeling that you will have when he leaves. It never really hit me that he was leaving until I saw him get on the bus headed for Parris Island. Just support him, that is what he needs what now. good luck to you both

Congratulations!

My son enlisted at the end of his Junior year at age 17 so we had to do the parental consent as well. For him it was good he enlisted earlier vs. later as he incurred delays waiting for a medical waiver... It's all good now and he's ready to ship on 9/4/2011.

Expect some up and downs on the emotional level. While being enlisted for such a long period of time before ship expect some of the normal "second guessing". My son never spoke openly about it but I know there were times when he questioned his decision while most of his Senior classmates were taking the college route. Perfectly natural. As his date has approached he's gotten more and more excited. It can't come soon enough for him now.

He eventually wants to get into special forces.... Has your son done ALL his homework? The Navy has the SEALS, the Army has the Green Beret, etc. etc. The Marine Corps is the only branch of the military that IS 'Special Forces', as a whole. EVERY Marine is a basic rifleman, and then holds an occupational specialty, (MOS) from plumber to electrician to radioman to tank driver. For my two cents, if I had it to do all over again, I would go in as a basic Infantryman (0311) and after 18 months, (minimum time) during which time I could see the Corps, talk to my Career Planner and re-enlist for a change of MOS that I wanted. (And possibly get another stripe in the deal.) Yes, it will mean 5 1/2 years active instead of only 4, but he will be more aware of the job descriptions available and make that judgement call. Best wishes and Semper-Fi!

Thread Information