Need VA/Discharge Help Please
Create Post

Need VA/Discharge Help Please

Hello, I'm a reserve Marine from Ohio. I went to boot in 2009 and have 3 years in, I was discharged in Feb/March of this year.

After being dropped from my unit on a med-sep, I've waited 5 months thinking I was entitled to a DD-214 equivalent. After talking to my Corpsman at my unit, I was told that reserve Marines that are discharged on a medical separation are not entitled to any paperwork indicating a discharge.

A few days ago I filed with the VA, but I'm still waiting to hear back. All of this is quite frustrating, because I'm not 100% sure if I'm considered a Veteran or not (never served the 90-days active duty) and I have no idea what, if anything, I'm entitled too disability wise.

To further complicate the matter, I'm very frustrated about the "no-discharge" paper thing. How am I suppose to prove my military service? Employers are requesting "DD-214's" and I have no such equivalent to provide them. In addition, I cannot obtain a Marine Corps Veteran license plate unless I have discharge paperwork.

I saw on this forum someone talking about a DD-256 MC, is that what I need? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm completely lost.

Well, I can't edit the post.

I was reading some more, and came upon this link:

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/mil...ervice-records

So, I requested the papers, but I'm not sure if that's what I need?

Go to www.va.govand all the rules are explained to try to receive veteran benefits.

The Disabled American Veterans assists all veterans in filing claims for benefits, especially for service connected injuries and disabilities. There is usually a DAV office located at every VA Hospital, and online www.dav.org you can find your nearest Chapter.

I am in the Kansas City area, and our service officer is very active in helping our fellow veterans get the benefits they need. Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Semper Fi,

Tom

Thanks Tom I'll check it out.

Right now, I'm mostly worried about my discharge papers/status because I need it for employment reasons.

As for the VA, I filed a claim and it's going through the process now. I'm not "disabled" (hate putting it that way), but I should hopefully be entitled to a low-percentage. I have severe Plantar Fasciitis, so I couldn't complete my military training nor was I deployable, so they decided to discharge me.

So, for now I guess I have to wait and see what either the VA or the archives say and hopefully I'll be able to get some sort of discharge paper/certificate. I mean, this is just down-right stupid.

The VA will request the records from the National Archives but if they do not recieve them then it is your responsibility to retrieve them. Have you sent in a VA Frm 21-526 to start your compensation claim?

You will be possiblt be eliible for compensation if a medical condiiton was started or aggravated by your service.

If you did not complete at least 2 years of active military time you will not be eligible for most if not all of any other va benefits.

PM me if you get tied up in the system. I work at the Philadelphia Regonal Office

Thank you Spotts, I'll certainly let you know if I need any additional help.

Right now, I've contacted and have spoken with a VA representative. They've sent some paperwork to me and I just submitted all of my information, so I'm in the "system" now and my claim is being processed.

They informed me I need a DD-256 for my discharge. I've requested it from the National Archives, so hopefully I'll get something relatively quick. The VA said claims are usually between 6months and 1 year.

POLIZEI GOOD LUCK MY FRIEND NOT TO BURST YOUR BUBBLE BUT IT MIGHT TAKE LONGER THAN A YEAR IAM A DESERT STORM VET AND IVE BEEN FIGHTING THE VA FOR THE PAST 17 plus years and still filing again and again.

SO GOOD LUCK AND SEMPE FI MY BROTHER

stephen doc hansen hm3 fmf

Likely as not, it will take 18 months or so. 'Technically' speaking, according to the gummint, you are *not* considered a 'veteran' per se. (I'm not judging, just stating what the gummint says). To be a 'veteran', you must have active duty time *not for training*.

Years ago, prior to 9/11, you had to have deployed to some foreign land, AND gotten a 'campaign medal' or Combat Action ribbon, to be considered a 'veteran' by law.

However, post 9/11, I believe the law has been changed to say that anyone serving, is considered a 'veteran', as long as it's active duty. The reserves are a whole different ball of wax, though.

Thread Information