2 quick questions
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question 2 quick questions

1. Just wanted to know if there are circumstances where you will be drilling in the fleet.

2. Are drill instructors trained to have their voice the way they do? I understand they yell from their diaphragm but they all sound alike when calling cadence.

1. Yes

2. Because they yell all the time.

Yes -- dog and pony shows or change of commands come to mind when i think of my time in.

No -- A lot of calling cadence or the voice is finding one you like and then imitating it. When I would call cadence, (I was not a DI) I mimicked one of my DI's from bootcamp. I'm sure that is basically how the DI's go about getting a cadence voice down.

Credits
    Savings
    Ahh, gotcha. Another question if anyone doesn't mind asking. When drill instructors come back to the fleet, fresh off the drill field, do they tend to bring their DI tendencies back? Not the whole chewing out and yelling at junior Marines but I guess having a higher standard for the Marines under them? I guess what I'm trying to say is how do they act when they come back?

Quote Originally Posted by Green94 View Post
    Ahh, gotcha. Another question if anyone doesn't mind asking. When drill instructors come back to the fleet, fresh off the drill field, do they tend to bring their DI tendencies back? Not the whole chewing out and yelling at junior Marines but I guess having a higher standard for the Marines under them? I guess what I'm trying to say is how do they act when they come back?
    It really depends on the individual. I would say most Marines returning to the fleet from DI duty are more locked on than your "regular" Marine that's been "chilling" in the fleet. Because, i am sure it's not easy to turn off all that motivation.

But, in the end, when they go back to the fleet they have a new job and new responsibilities, and the good ones can differentiate between that. I worked for a SSgt. who returned from the drill field and I'll admit he had some DI left in him when he got to us, but, in the end he got things done and made things happen because he was a leader - and not because he turned all frog voice on us. He also left our unit and went to Warrant Officer school/TBS, so he was doing something right.

Hope that helps.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    It really depends on the individual. I would say most Marines returning to the fleet from DI duty are more locked on than your "regular" Marine that's been "chilling" in the fleet. Because, i am sure it's not easy to turn off all that motivation.

But, in the end, when they go back to the fleet they have a new job and new responsibilities, and the good ones can differentiate between that. I worked for a SSgt. who returned from the drill field and I'll admit he had some DI left in him when he got to us, but, in the end he got things done and made things happen because he was a leader - and not because he turned all frog voice on us. He also left our unit and went to Warrant Officer school/TBS, so he was doing something right.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks, wookie. I appreciate it.

I had 2 former DIs 1 was my company Gunny and the other was my Platoon SGT
    They were great and we all sat around the camp fire listening to their stories.

SEMPER FI

Stephen Doc Hansen HM3 FMF

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by doc h fmf View Post
    I had 2 former DIs 1 was my company Gunny and the other was my Platoon SGT
    They were great and we all sat around the camp fire listening to their stories.

SEMPER FI

Stephen Doc Hansen HM3 FMF
    Sounds like one hell of a good time lol, doc. On a serious note though, what is the purpose of a company Gunny when you have a First Sergeant?

Sounds like one hell of a good time lol, doc. On a serious note though, what is the purpose of a company Gunny when you have a First Sergeant?
    They have different roles.

The 1stSgt is the senior enlisted advisor to the Commanding Officer. His role mostly is to keep problems with enlisted Marines from ever getting to the CO. If there is a Marine having problems with his weight, chances are he will be on the carpet in front of the 1stSgt first; if he can't lose the weight, then he will go before the CO and formerly put on the weight control program. Same with someone having problems paying their bills on time or supporting their wife; the 1stSgt will have a piece of them before they see the CO and get a page 11 entry (official counselling). The 1stSgt is expected to be the duty expert when it comes to preparing the company for change of command/retirement ceremonies. He also schedules meetings with all the SNCO's to go over any problems or reiterate the CO's poilicies. On company runs, the 1stSgt is in the front of the formation along with the CO/XO and other staff officers.

The Company Gunny makes sure the buildings/grounds are squared away and everybody has all the equipment they need for field days, etc. He will schedule meetings with all the NCO's to reiterate the CO's policies or cover any problems. On Company runs, he is in the rear picking up stragglers and kicking them in the a$$ to get back in formation. He may also assist the corpsman with casualties and putting them in the emergency vehicle.

Company Gunny is in charge of logistics, 1stSgt is incharge of admin.

Credits
    Savings
    1. Just wanted to know if there are circumstances where you will be drilling in the fleet.

2. I understand they yell from their diaphragm .
    but they all sound alike
    (((DON"T YOU BELIEVE THAT FOR A SECOND, GRASSHOPPER.)))

when calling cadence.
    Particularly in boot camp, you'll learn to listen
    and identify your Instructors unique/ cadence,
    no matter IF it is simular or not to other Instructors..
    UP wind, in a blizzard,blind folded , and after dark.

Enjoy !

Thread Information