What can i do to stay in the corps???
Create Post

What can i do to stay in the corps???

I am a Lance Corporal, currently in the IRR. I was based out of Miami, Fl. I am out the 12th of this month, and would like to stay in or stay in the IRR..how do I do this..I hear 2 different versions from the IRR one says I can extend my contract in the IRR the other says I cant and that I have to leave and im done..I have kept up on my MCI's but havent done my PFT to keep up .. so I need advice from Prior Service Recruiters or anyone that has knowledge on this. Thanks..

Lcpl. Richards
    Semper Fi.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Just curious, are your cutting scores for 03xx reservists that high that you haven't picked up in almost 8 years?

As far as I am aware you have to be an NCO in order to re-enlist, there is a few Marines at my unit that are running into this exact same problem and have been told that they are pretty mush SOL.(these Marines are still Lance's at their own fault though..NJP's)

All of that time in the Corps and you couldn't pick up CPL, good luck Marine,Semper Fidelis.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    All of that time in the Corps and you couldn't pick up CPL, good luck Marine,Semper Fidelis.
    It took me until my last month in while I was on terminal leave to get E4 because my MOS was locked up for nearly 2 years for promotions.

This site should be able to help you out.

http://www.marines.mil/unit/marforre...SOIRR/IRR.aspx

You should be able to retire from the IRR if you can get enough points per year.

All that stuff you threw out after TAP/TAMP would be useful right now.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    how long was that though?..when you say "terminal leave" that would assume you were at the end of your 4 year active duty contract.

This Marine is just about to end his IRR time which means he has been in the Corps for almost 8 years

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    how long was that though?..when you say "terminal leave" that would assume you were at the end of your 4 year active duty contract.

This Marine is just about to end his IRR time which means he has been in the Corps for almost 8 years
    My terminal leave was as long as it was allowed which was 60 days. That was at the end of my 4 years of active duty.

During my time in the IRR, I never did anything to get myself promoted. I did not think that was an option in the first place because how was I supposed to get my conduct ratings, go to the range, get scored on a pft, etc. If I was able to do any of that, that information was never passed on to me by anyone I served with or where I lived at. Because during my time in the IRR, I never once had to check in with a unit. My time in the IRR was the late 90's.

I hear a lot of complaining, aiming and blaming but very little if any mention of you taking any initiative to seek career counseling. If you don't raise you hand, speak up and convey your interests and desire to remain in the Corps -- before your time runs out, no one else is to be blamed. Staying in the Corps today does not mean remaining in the shadow, but stepping out in front. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Yes you can re-enlist in the IRR. Go see a prior service recruiter and see if the package will go through

Getting back into the Reserves

Marines, I currently ended my contract full this July. I now realized way to late I miss the corps. I am trying to get back in by joining the MA reserves. Now I have talked to the PSR he told to get back into irr and then go from there after I move. I am a lace yes was demoted before getting out that's why not a cpl. I deployed to Iraq in 07. I want to get back in but don't know if I am able to get into irr. Would the PSR in my area be able to do it or will irr deny me due to my rank?

Thread Information