Inquiries
Create Post

Thread: Inquiries

Inquiries

Good evening, Marines

I've recently graduated from highschool and received my diploma. I've been talking with a recruiterfor the past few months and I am completely committed to performing a service for our country by enlisting into the Marine Corps as active duty. After taking time to thoroughly look through your rules I havetwo question I would like to ask that weren't covered by yourstickies.
    1. This first question is my main concernand it pertains to medical inquiries and MEPS. To put it bluntly, Ihave some pretty bad acne on my back. This is the only reason Ihaven't signed a contract yet. My parents told me its a hereditaryissue and has nothing to do with hygiene. I never imagined this wouldbe an issue because to be honest it really never bothers me at all. Istarted to become concerned after being told it could potentially bean issue during the MEPS physical and seeing the reaction of theGunnery Sergeant. I was told receiving a letter from my doctor mighthelp me. I recently visited my doctor and she examined my acne andthen wrote a letter. The letter is detail with the following information...
    • When I was first prescribed medication. (2005)
    • The name of the medication. (Tetracycline)
    • When I was last prescribed the medication (2010)
    • I have not been prescribed or taken any medication since
    • That my acne has improved and she mentions that I am fit for military duty

2. If I ever get pass this ordeal I'm very interested in the electronic maintenance field. I scored decently on the ASVAB and I would like to know what they do and if the see action.

Thank you for your time.

No one here is going to be able to help you with your medical situation, if you can call acne a medical problem. Was there a question? And as for eletronic maintenance field... I would take a guess that would fall under utilities on the ground side? Or maybe your talking about Avionics for electronic maintenance for aircrafts?

Quote Originally Posted by BGW View Post
    No one here is going to be able to help you with your medical situation, if you can call acne a medical problem. Was there a question? And as for eletronic maintenance field... I would take a guess that would fall under utilities on the ground side? Or maybe your talking about Avionics for electronic maintenance for aircrafts?
    Okay and I am referring to field
    5900 electronics maintenance OccFld.

The only thing I could tell you is what the description gives on that MOS when you google it up. You would be dealing alot with communications gear as radios and all that other bull ****. You know ... fixing... setting these things up. Taking care of any problems that might come your way. I am sure some one who is actually in this MOS can go into further details about it then I ever could.

The 5900 MOS field has a very wide list of jobs, with very different types of responsibilities. Depending on the needs of the Marine Corps, and your personal test scores, you will be placed into one of those MOS's. Let me assure you, that you will learn more than you thought possible about these different systems and electronics in general. If you are asking what a day to day experience would be, I cannot tell you; Radar technician is going to have a very different day than a Data systems maintainer, or an aviation electronics bubba. If you would like information about the Avionics side, I have a bit of experience, and I can put you in contact with some Marines that do it on a daily basis.

Kai -- you didn't mention this but is your primary care physician a dermatologist or internal medicine? I recommend you get evaluated by the former since they specialize in skin disorders. Tetracycline is an old stand by antibiotic for management of infection so you're not going to get pumped up like steroid meds.

I don't think you will be rejected for severe acne unless your condition develops into inflamed boils or cysts. Usually acne self resolves as you become older. Yes, your mother is correct, acne can be genetically predisposed but it is not a disease. What you have is some overly active oil glands. I'm not a physician but am confident this information is not within the purview of practicing medicine. Good luck.

Last edited by fl1946; 07-23-12 at 10:29 PM. Reason: mispell

Thread Information