My son & psoriasis
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My son & psoriasis

I have a question that may or may not have been answered. I tried the search but came up with nothing.
    My son joined the early enrollment when he was a junior in high school, he took the medical went thru all the stuff these guys do, he has now graduated and is supposed to leave on 23 July 2012. The problem he is now having is that during PT with the recruiter, the recruiter noticed some red spots on his shins, we have had extremely hot weather here and they have been doing PT in grass that is like hay. Anyways 4 weeks ago the recruiter told him if he had to see a doctor it could be cause for discharge, now that these red spots have shown up the recruiter told him to go to the doctor, we are guessing this maybe psoriasis, due to family history and with the stress he is going thru may have caused it. It looks like a small rash. We are hoping its not p.
    He has 13 days to go before he ships out, if the doctors tell him its psoriasis can he get a waiver or is it too late? What happens if he doesn't go to the doctors and just ships out--like I said he passed one physical from the USMC already with no problems.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thread Closed
    Please fill out your profile completely before posting. (Site Rules)
    Contact any Squad Leader to reopen the thread once your profile is completed.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Profile filled out. Thank You
    Thread Reopened.

Your son should see a doctor now. It’s better for him to go now and not ship than get down there and get sent home. Also, think of this… If it’s hot where you live now, it’s going to be very hot in 13 day in Southern California. Conditions there aren’t really conducive to skin conditions healing. I developed eczema during my last trip to Iraq. One thing I know about skin conditions is that stress is a big factor. Your son is already stressed, then he is going to get into a more stressful situation and the problem will get worse.

Go to the doctor, get it checked out, be honest with the recruiter about the results. If they have to delay his ship date by a few weeks cause it’s a rash, then so be it. You can hold your head high and say you did the right thing.

If the recruiter gets mad, that’s his problem.

But what happens if it turns out to be psoriasis? Will he be able to get a waiver? and will it delay his ship date?

sorry if I sound so needy or pushy, but my sons been dreaming of this for 10 yrs, its all he wants to be and for this to happen with 13 days to go is killing all of us.

No, it's not going to kill all of you.

If it's psoriasis you find out where to go from there. If he can get a waiver then great! Congrats! If he can't then that's what you and your son need to accept.

You need to take one step at a time. The first one should be in the direction of your doctor's office.

I'm sure you or your son have heard the words "Honor, Courage and Commitment".

Have the honor to go to the doctor, the courage to accept the diagnosis and the commitment to deal with whatever emotional fallout there is.

You're his father, this is an excellent opportunity here to set a great example.

Thanks

NP, Let us know how it goes.

Well he was medically discharged today or ELS from DEPS. The Sgt told him he could try again in 6 months, if he has strong paperwork stating he is capable for duty and has the P under control.
    Now its time for him to work on a Plan B. But this was a lifelong dream of his.

Military Medical Standards for Enlistment & Appointment

Skin and cellular tissues

Updated June 10, 2009

The disqualifying medical conditions are listed below. The International Classification of Disease (ICD) codes are listed in parentheses following each standard.
    The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction (without an approved waiver) are an authenticated history of:

Current or history of psoriasis (696.1) is disqualifying.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...ary/a/skin.htm

Quote Originally Posted by SoftballCatch23 View Post
    Military Medical Standards for Enlistment & Appointment

Skin and cellular tissues

Updated June 10, 2009

The disqualifying medical conditions are listed below. The International Classification of Disease (ICD) codes are listed in parentheses following each standard.
    The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction (without an approved waiver) are an authenticated history of:

Current or history of psoriasis (696.1) is disqualifying.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...ary/a/skin.htm
    I understand that, but why would the recruiter tell him to come back in 6 months and try again? Will he get a waiver when he reapplies?

Sorry to hear that. Take him to see a dermatologist. I saw one for my eczema and she gave me tons of good advice on how totake care of it. I have flare ups every oncein a while but nothing like when I initially got it. In 6 months he could possibly have itcompletely under control. It all dependson how bad his condition is, but taking care of it properly can be a bighelp. For now the two of you can holdyour head high and know you did the right thing. There are reasons that psoriasis is adisqualifier. As one of my drillinstructors told me once. Most rules arethere because at some point someone realized it was a bad idea. You take psoriasis to a combat zone and itcan quickly become debilitating. Thelast thing the Marines your son would serve with need is to lose someonebecause of a condition he already had. Don't be bitter (not saying you are), the disqualification is there fora reason.

DEAR MJS sorry to hear that. but as a former navy corpsman fmf doc the main reason for disqualification is because with psorisis you are very prone to infection.crawling through the mud and dirt so that is why its disqualifying.

I am sorry wish your friend or family member all the best

Stephen Doc Hansen HM3 FMF

OK, so on Friday the recruiter calls and tells my son get your paperwork together so he can send it in and on Monday your going to MEPS. Well today he reports to the recruiters office, 15 minutes early, sits around for 3 hours, they drive to MEPS and the doctor tells him to come back tomorrow. I really do not understand what is going on or why they are prolonging this if they are just going to DQ him. His recruiter isnt telling him much which I take as a bad sign.

so he went to MEPS today and received a waiver. Now we play the waiting game, i hope it can work it. His recruiter and his boss are pushing for my son to get in, hopefully BUMED agrees!!!

Anyone have an idea how long it takes to receive a reply?

Thread Information