Thinking about joining the USMCR. Need updated information.
Create Post

Thinking about joining the USMCR. Need updated information.

Greetings folks!

I've been highly considering joining the USMCR. I'm 24 which isn't old by any means, but I have other opportunities I'd like to continue to pursue in my civilian life. I'm a commissioned police officer in the state of Ohio, and would love to get on the OSHP as a Trooper. Even though being a reserve Marine wouldn't necessarily benefit me financially at this point a 6 x 2 contract would at least qualify me for better housing loans through the VA if I'm not mistaken, and college money (after 6 years reserve). Of course you get numerous other benefits for being in the service regardless, and most of all you earn the title of being a Marine.

My questions are in regards to updated information on the USMC reserves. I can't seem to find a clear definition of exactly how things work in 2012. I know things changed for traveling to drills for example in terms of tax deductions on mileage. So if I join I would really like to be part of some aviation MOS. However, Ohio has no Aviation units you can drill at. The closest is Mount Clemens, Michigan which is about 162 miles (roughly 3 hours) away. I heard other branches now offer anything over 50 miles to pay for your lodging, and reimburse you for miles after 50. If not you could deduct the expenses on your taxes at the very least? The reserve pay wouldn't even be worth the travel, but my interest is really in the Marine aviation. In addition to that I've heard if you "volunteer" to travel they don't help you. At what point would you be "volunteering"? I don't get how the "guaranteed MOS" thing works if you are bound to drilling within 50 miles. Guaranteed MOS that is available based on distance is what they really mean?

Aside from all the above wall of text my other question(s) refer to having student loan debt. As a reserve Marine will I be able to get VA refinancing of private student loans, or some other form of assistance? I figure between boot camp, and MOS training I will bank a good chunk of change to nearly pay it off anyways. But clarity of my options is nice too.

Thanks so much for your time spent reading my questions, and in advance for taking time to respond!

Topic closed until you have more of a profile besides a first and last name.....site rules, which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums. PM any Squad Leader from the Squad Leaders sticky in the Ask A Marine forum when profile is complete and topic will be re-opened.

Topic re-opened.
    And your best bet is to talk with a recruiter to get the most up-to-date info.

I've been in contact with a recruiter as well. Thank you for the recommendation though! I'm in the process of dropping about 10lbs to be within standard before they can really do anything for me. To be honest, he didn't seem interested in going to great detail about much anything. The answers were very simplistic, with very little details. It was a little awkward in atmosphere.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    For your info, the aviation unit at Selfridge ANGB, Mt Clemens is not a flying unit. It is a wing support group HQ and related support units (MPs, motor transport, etc). I was in that unit many moons ago.

As to rest of your questions, I can't answer them for the Marine Corps. I lived within driving limits (50 miles) during my time in the USMCR and the Air Guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    For your info, the aviation unit at Selfridge ANGB, Mt Clemens is not a flying unit. It is a wing support group HQ and related support units (MPs, motor transport, etc). I was in that unit many moons ago.

As to rest of your questions, I can't answer them for the Marine Corps. I lived within driving limits (50 miles) during my time in the USMCR and the Air Guard.
    Ah, well that answers that then. There doesn't seem to be any flyers anywhere near me. Guess I will continue my search. I appreciate the insight!

Thread Information