Intelligence permanent duty stations
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Intelligence permanent duty stations

Hello Marines,

I'm currently a college student studying international relations. I'm contemplating enlisting in the Marine Corps upon completion of my bachelors degree.

I'm very interested in the intelligence field and that's what I want I want to do for my career. I'm just wondering what the duty stations for the intel positions are.

Thanks.

Topic closed you have a complete profile besides a first and last name......site rules, which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums.
    PM any Squad Leader from the Squad Leaders sticky thread when you have a complete profile. Topic will then be reopened.

Complete profile....topic reopened.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    you can get stationed anywhere, you'll get 3 choices though....east coast(Lejeune, Cherry Point, Quantico), west coast (Pendleton, Miramar, Yuma), and overseas (Okinawa, Hawaii). Intel is needed pretty much anywhere, it is not specific to a duty station.

Credits
    Savings
    To my understanding duty stations are picked based on class ranking, correct?

Im really interested in Quantico to be close to home and near DC for networking.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    yes and no...nearing graduation at MOS school you'll get the list of where you and the others are needed. The higher rank in your class the better possibility you have to go where you want because you'll get to choose first from whats available. Quantico or East Coast may not be available at all..??..there is no way to tell

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the information!

Look right above your post at the sticky's and read the one about intelligence analysts...it will answer most of your questions including picking your first duty station out of school (it's based on your class standing/ranking).

Good luck.

Credits
    Savings
    I would imagine that when duty stations are being picked Okinawa or Hawaii are among the first to be picked if they're available?

HI for sure; would think 29 Palms, CA (it's a desert outpost) is at the bottom.

Our base in HI is a Marine Corps Air Station so chances are, if you went there, you would be with an aviation squadron. Your chances of being with an infantry unit are greater on Okinawa or at Camp Pendleton, CA/Camp LeJeune, NC.

Joint commands have large intelligence (J2) directorates. The US Central Command runs the wars in southwest Asia including Afghanistan and Iraq (would be involved with Iran if the balloon goes up there too). It's headquarters is located at MacDill AFB in Tampa, FL (I was there during Desert Storm). Although they have some junior troops there, the majority of intel personnel are experienced NCO's/SNCO's/officers. Another joint command, the US Southern Command, is also headquartered at MacDill AFB and it covers Latin America. Joint commands include all the service branches to integrate our warfighting capabilities in a particular region of the world. The commander-in-chief (CINC) rotates between a USMC/USN/USAF/USA flag officer (general/admiral).

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    you can get stationed anywhere, you'll get 3 choices though....east coast(Lejeune, Cherry Point, Quantico), west coast (Pendleton, Miramar, Yuma), and overseas (Okinawa, Hawaii). Intel is needed pretty much anywhere, it is not specific to a duty station.
    I think it also depends on your MOS I only have 3 choices for 61's Lejuene, Pendleton and Hanson. For some reason for your first duty station you have to get stationed at an Intel Batallion.

Quote Originally Posted by blwalt17 View Post
    I would imagine that when duty stations are being picked Okinawa or Hawaii are among the first to be picked if they're available?
    It all depends on your GPA, and the forecast as to how many Marines are needed at a base. If you get honor grad you will get first choice as to where you want to go. After the honor grad it goes by GPA. And which ones go first all depends on where people want to go. In my class everyone wanted to go to Oki but now it seems most of the class is wanting to go to pendleton.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blwalt17 View Post
    Hello Marines,

I'm currently a college student studying international relations. I'm contemplating enlisting in the Marine Corps upon completion of my bachelors degree.

I'm very interested in the intelligence field and that's what I want I want to do for my career. I'm just wondering what the duty stations for the intel positions are.

Thanks.
    Well, it's been almost a year since you posted this.
    How are you making out ?
    Still contemplating ?
    Still at that community college ?
    Talk to a Recruiter yet ?
    Your almost 24 years old. Times going by... Enlist now and finish school in the " Corps ".

Thread Information