Army Enlisted to Corps enlisted
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Army Enlisted to Corps enlisted

Good morning, Marines
    Got a quick question for you. I'm on deployment right now with the Army, and have 2 yrs left on my contract. My question is, do any of you know what I would have to do to make a move to the Corps? And is there any way I could be guaranteed an 0300 job? There is a Marine Retention NCO here on Camp, I think. Should I just refer my questions over to him?
    Thanks in advance for any of your input.

I'd say that Marine Retention NCO or any other recruiter out in town.

Credits
    Savings
    I just asked a random Lance Corporal walking out of the chow hall if he knew where his Retention NCO was on camp. He said he had no idea. Back to square one.

Random LCpl's rarely have the correct answers, no offense to those young studs. How did you find out there was a retention NCO on base?

Sorry Chewie, but we're going to have to disagree.

If some random lance coolie doesn't know, it's time to throw in the towel.

He did all he could, right? Remember, he's Army.

Credits
    Savings
    I just assumed there would be a Retention NCO for the Corps here on camp, since all branches of the Army have one, the AF and Navy have one also. Hey, appreciate the sarcasm, but I'm in your house, right?

Quote Originally Posted by FollowMe34 View Post
    I just assumed there would be a Retention NCO for the Corps here on camp, since all branches of the Army have one, the AF and Navy have one also. Hey, appreciate the sarcasm, but I'm in your house, right?
    I wasn't being sarcastic, but this is OUR house

I think you need a prior service recruiter, but maybe the "regular" recruiters can help. Either way the only retention NCO I would think of for the Marine Corps would be the career jammer(planner) but, I think they only deal with active Marines.

I would find a senior enlisted Marine, and ask them. JP is right if the lance coolie doesn't know -- then it didn't happen.

I hope you prepare better then this former Army guy did.

http://marinecorpstimes.com/news/201...s-exam-070212/

good luck

Credits
    Savings
    As an E4, we don't usually talk to Ssg's or above from other units, much less another branch, but I'll hit one up at the MWR later on or somewhere if the opportunity hits. My old man was a Grunt in 1/9 in the 80's, and I've always wanted to be a Marine. Joined the Army first to get my college out of the way. Got that checked off the list, plus a deployment. Ready to come over if I can.

I'd say visit this website:

Marine Recuriter

That's what they are getting paid for.

We don't call them "retention NCO's" so it's possible the LCpl just didn't understand the question. We call them career planners.

Every USMC unit has a billet for a career planner but sometimes (especially while deployed) it may be vacant. It's possible there are no career planners at your camp. I believe a USMC recruiter would be better qualified to answer your questions anyway and they would probably be the ones to process the paperwork.

You do realize you will have to complete USMC bootcamp?

Good luck and keep safe.

Credits
    Savings
    Very aware of the fact I'll have to go thru P.I. Utilizing the gym here for sure. If the recruiter is the only route, I'll have to talk to one sometime in January when I'm stateside again. I sent an email to a few recruiters, and still haven't had a reply. I'll keep trying though. Thanks Top

Thread Information