Reserve MOS 2111 in colorado?
Create Post
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question Reserve MOS 2111 in colorado?

Hello Marines, Im currently going through all the process to enlist as a reservist in los angeles, (where i live), as a small arms repair/technician (2111).

I plan on staying here for about 2 years and then moving to Colorado for a University near some family I have over there.

I understand I have to be released from my unit, and accepted by the new unit for the transfer to go through. Only problem is, I know there is a Reserve unit in Aurora,CO. But i have no idea if they have my mos (2111). I understand they would need an open spot at that time for my rank, but I dont even know if they have that MOS at all.

If there is anyone with some reserve experience from CO, please chime in.

Also, I see that Aurora is the only reserve units in CO at all, Would i be allowed to drill there while living hours away but still in CO?

Thank you

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I am pretty sure just about every reserve unit rates a few 2111's/Armorers. If they have an armory with weapons they should rate an armorer. Hopefully someone else will chime in and solidify this.

There are SMCR (Drilling Reserve) 2111 billets at Buckley Air Reserve Base in Aurora; the USMCR presence there has grown beyond the Wing to include Intel, Interrogation/Translator Teams and an Artillery Battery.

The problem you face is two-fold; will these billets be open when you attempt to obtain a release from your SMCR Unit and will your CO agree to release you?

Remember, 2111's are not that common and CO's are often not willing to part with them easily. I was unable to move from NY to FL until my position was back-filled by a new contract/enlistee in the early '90's and I had been to combat/war with both of the Skippers (I&I and Reserve) and was prior active duty. I could have reverted to IRR (Inactive/Non-Drilling Status), but that is not what Marines do!

My advice to you is this:
    1: You should have taken the Practice and/or actual ASVAB by now with your Recruiter; insure that you qualify for 2111 (MM must be at greater than 95)
    2. If you have passed your MEPs Physical, great; if not your Colorado Recruiter can schedule; your ASVAB Scores are online.
    3. Have your current Recruiter call the Recruiter in the area of Colorado where you will relocate and ask if there are open FY (Fiscal Year) 2013 SMCR 2111 Billets at Buckley.
    4: Relocate to Colorado and enlist from here; that is the only way to insure that you get what you want!
    5: Refer a highly qualified Poolee or two to the local Recruiter who was working with you and send him your boot graduation photo!

Thread Information