Just an observation
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just an observation

My son raised his hand and joined the Marine Corps on 4 Feb. 2012. It was a very proud moment for my wife and I. Since that time I have braged about my son wanting to be part of something greater than himself. I have had mixed emotions from people when I tell them this. I wounder when I get negitive reactions if I would get the same if I would have told them he wanted to be a cop or firefighter? I just wanted reactions from other parents have thaey had te same reaction or is it the small town I live in.

Here's my opinion. Most people in our society today are more about what can this Government/country do for them than they are about sacraficing anything for their country. They are more than willing to take everything they can but unwilling to give anything of their own in return. So, the thought that someone volunteers to sacrafice so much (including potentially their own life) in the service of their country is totally foreign to the majority of Americans today. Remember, only 1% of our citizens serve in the all-volunteer force today. Your average American today is at the mall and not concerned with personal sacrafice for anything other than themselves. Serving their country is something someone else's kids do.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Well said Top .

Congrats Stephen to You, Your Wife and Esp. Your Son !!! Be Proud of him and tell the World...

Don't for a minute -- or even a second think your son's election to join the Marine Corps was a questionable move. Paraphrasing an anon quote, the title of U.S. Marine can't be bought, rented, traded or inherited. Only your son alone can own the title, "United States Marine" forever.

Semper fi,

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansdad View Post
    My son raised his hand and (JOINED)the Marine Corps on 4 Feb. 2012.

It was a very proud moment for my wife and I.

Since that time I have braged about my son wanting to be part of something greater than himself.

I have had mixed emotions from people when I tell them this.

I wounder when I get negitive reactions, if I would get the same if I would have told them he wanted to be a cop or firefighter?

I just wanted reactions from other parents have had the same reaction or is it the small town I live in.
    Quote Originally Posted by fl1946 View Post
    Don't for a minute -- or even a second think your son's election to join the Marine Corps was a questionable move.

Paraphrasing an anon quote,

" the title of U.S. Marine can't be bought, rented, traded or inherited. Only your son alone can EARN the title, "United States Marine" forever.

Semper fi,
    ALL of us will Slice it,
    and Dice it THIN on Earning the title of
    "United States Marine"........
    COLD HARD FACT,,,,,,

Your son won't "JOIN" the Corps until he EARNS the title...

Regardless

Be proud your son has chosen/attempting to enlist in the USMC.

For as proud you are now, ....I hope you can attend his
    graduation of boot camp after he has earned his title and EGA's

IF we're still alive..
    We want to hear about your pride then........

Yeah right now I'm waiting to hear back from my Recruit Officer to see if I can go to MEPS. And I don't know what it is but when I tell people I want to serve in the military and they ask "oh, what branch?" I say "Marines." EVERYONE always looks at me like I'm crazy. They say "go hard or go home" and if the I get into boot camp I ain't goin home. And I agree with Tennessee Top all take-no sacrifice, you want you gota give something.

My son ships Sept 04. As parents my wife and I experience a wide gamut of emotions, all of them are overcome with a great sense of pride.

The news of his enlistment to our family and friends has also been varied but overwhelmingly they express support, pride and gratitude.

Top summed it up well about those that don't have a clue. Today's society seems bent on being served not appreciating much of what they have and at what price it came.

The toughest reaction to swallow is that of his Grand Dad's (my dad). He has been very vocal in his opinion..."biggest mistake of his life etc etc". I argue it's my dad's biggest mistake not supporting him.

Ultimately I've tried to make it clear to my son not expect or look for much in the way of appreciation from anybody...his own sense of pride can't be found in others who can't comprehend. He'll need to find it in himself and with his future Brothers.

Best of luck to your son!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigticker View Post

My son ships Sept 04.
    As parents my wife and I experience a wide gamut of emotions,
    all of them are overcome with a great sense of pride.

The news of his enlistment to our family and friends has also been varied but overwhelmingly they express support, pride and gratitude.

The toughest reaction to swallow is that of his Grand Dad
    (my dad).
    He has been very vocal in his opinion...
    "biggest mistake of his life etc etc".

I argue it's my dad's biggest mistake not supporting him.

Ultimately I've tried to make it clear to my son not expect or look for much in the way of appreciation from anybody...
    his own sense of pride can't be found in others who can't comprehend.
    He'll need to find it in himself and with his future Brothers.

Best of luck to your son!
    Your dad may well be in my age bracket...60 + ???
    and may well be a hold over of the Vietnam Era.

We hope your dad is wrong for your sons sake.

Good Luck to your son also.

m14ed - He actually served 3 years in the Army during Korea and was stationed in Germany for a period of time. He doesn't talk about the experience at all other than I know he was a tow truck driver. I do respect his perspective but will likely never understand. I just wish he would recognize that his grandsons choice is made and there is no turning back so why not get behind him. I don't expect him to attend his graduation which is too bad.

Not to Hi-jack the thread but to offer perspective that even previous service members may give mixed reactions.

I would like to thank everyone for their post. I am so proud my son raised his hand to have the oppertunity to earn the right to become and to be called a Marine.

My family is supportive of my decision to attempt to earn the title of U.S. Marine but they always ask me why I didn't go Airforce and my Aunt tried to drag me down to the damn Airforce recruiting station.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaBear View Post

My Aunt tried to drag me down to the damn
    Airforce recruiting station.
    Smart woman there, "your aunt".

Marines DO have a reputation

Marine Family Free Member Marinemom32's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    When my son told me he wanted to be a Marine when he was in the 8th grade, and he wrote a paper about it, I still have it on my fridge. I said are you sure? he said I never wanted anything so much in my life. All thru hig hschool he never changed his mind, and when he joined DEP at 17 I told myself I can either support him, or as soon as he is 18 he is going to join, so I signed the paper to let him enlist. I have never been more proud of him, and all his friends and everybody I tell, always say to me to tell him "thank you for his service to our country". And tell him also that Marines are BADA$$ I have never gotten a negative reaction at all.

Dear lansdad SEMPER FI and GODBLESS YOUR SON AND FAMILY

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Had Beau Cou Aunts Uncles try talking Me outta joing the CROTCH,But to no Avail.I'm My own Man Chit I was Born on Parachute Silk,Army Brat By Birth Marine By Choice.GodBless Him You should be very Proud,not too many YoungBucks have The GONADS to do what He is doing!!!S/F GodSpeed

Thread Information