MOS Selection - Prepoolee
Create Post

MOS Selection - Prepoolee

Good Morning,

My name is Darr, and I am a pre poolee. I will be going to MEPS this Thursday, to take my physical exam and possibly the DLAB. I would like some help or advice on choosing my MOS or overall field though. I took my ASVAB with the Army in May, but have since switched to joining the Marine Corps. When I took the ASVAB I earned a 99 AFQT with a line score of 143~144 GT, I can't remember precisely, with my lowest line score being a 130 (mechanics or the sort). Background check wise I should have no issues, I have no criminal record, drug use (alcohol and tobacco included) and no medical issues.

I have been thinking of going into Counter Intelligence, after being a Linguist in Russian (I'll be fluent in German by when I ship, next July hopefully). Does anyone have any advice MOS wise? Something that might turn me away from my current plan, or any reason I might have trouble getting a Top Secret Clearance. Foreign travel wise I have only been to Mexico once, and Canada once when I was nine. I really would like to end up in Eastern Europe station wise.

If you are interested in CI or being a linguist....then do it. The most important thing about selecting a basic MOS is choosing something that interests you and something that....depending on which final MOS you are selected to fill....be something that will not bore you to death.

As you know, the Marine Corps only offers you the basic MOS and you will be assigned final MOS depending on the needs of the Corps. So be very selective.

As far as where you will end up...that again depends on where the Corps has a slot available that needs you. Keep in mind they call a dream sheet a dream sheet for a reason.

Other than that advice...I have none for you. Work out to get in the best shape possible but know it will NEVER be good enough. Learn the rank structure from the lowest enlisted to the highest general....learn your general orders. Armed with this... you are good to go.

Good luck to you and make sure you come back and let us know after you have earned your EGA.

Last edited by DrZ; 06-13-12 at 07:24 AM.

Don't have any advice except to echo what has already been said.

My niece took the DLAB but only after she was given an intel program so it may be a little early for you at this point.

Can't say about the possibilities of you being stationed in Eastern Europe since the USMC has no bases there (that is more Army and Air Force territory). The USMC is a global force but turning its focus to the Western Pacific region. However, if you do become a linguist, there may be some way for you to end up in the region where you speak the language. I would venture to say, the only US Marines in Russia are the Marine Security Guards at our embassy in Moscow (but when it comes to counterintelligence who knows).

Thank you Sirs for your advice, I am through MEPS but awaiting my job selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittmann View Post
    Thank you Sirs for your advice, I am through MEPS but awaiting my job selection.
    Update to that, I passed the DLAB with a 112, so I will be able to learn Russian at the DLI!

Do realize you dont get to choose the language you want to learn you get told the language you are going to learn. you only get to choose the basic which i think is like 27xx unless you are a reservist then you get to choose the exact MOS you want. But there really isnt a need for Russian at the moment so I dont see why they would give you Russian considering we appear to be moving more into the Pacific area.

Thread Information