Is this even possible?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is this even possible?

I am looking for an honest and realistic answer here.

I am leaving for bootcamp in about eight months. My ship date is February 11th, 2013. I want to try out for Recon Indoc. The only problem with that is, I'm weak and scrawny.

I can do a maximum of about 5 pull ups.
    92 sit ups in two minutes.
    And a mile time of about 9-11 minutes.

I know, I am out of shape and I'm not that strong of a person but I want to do Recon more than any job in the Marine Corps. I just need to know if 8 months of exercising will actually help me or not.

Oh I also should mention I'm not that good of a swimmer, either.

My plans are as follows:
    Run every day.
    Pull ups and sit ups every day or at least every other day.
    Lift weights every other day.
    Sometime soon get to a YMCA around here and start swimming, or take swimming lessons.

This is something I am serious about.

I know the odds are against me.

Thanks

Last edited by Lisa 23; 06-23-12 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Comment removed......uncalled for.

well as a weight room instructor told me do the body building every other day your body need one day of recovery,, as for the running that would be okay for everyday,, as for the rest it depends on your stamina,, that is the big thing,, Recon is no pick nick, it is one of the hardest and most demanding areas of any military,,

good luck

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sounds like you have a good plan.
    You still have 8 months to go.
    You should have started on your plan yesterday.

Good luck to you...

Quote Originally Posted by Rhode Island View Post
    Sounds like you have a good plan.
    You still have 8 months to go.
    You should have started on your plan yesterday.

Good luck to you...
    Actually, yesterday was the first day of my plan lol

Thank you for the advice.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Laskyy View Post
    Actually, yesterday was the first day of my plan lol

Thank you for the advice.
    You can do it !!!

Thanks for the encouragement!

don't go in with a recon contract.

I was an instructor at the School of Infantry, and the ones that had the hardest time at BRC, were the contracts. Go in as 03xx...the school will then give you the option of trying out. That way if you decide that you really just want to be straight leg Infantry...no harm no foul...IF you are contract Recon, you can't get out of it...no matter how bad you try.

Just my advice. But it and $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

My recruiter said if I go Recon I am guaranteed a shot at it. If I quit or fail from Recon school, it doesn't follow me and I will still go infantry. It isn't if I am going to struggle... I know I can do it. I will do it. I just needed to know if it is humanly possible to prepare myself like this. Thank you for your post sir, I will keep an open mind.

Got it...enjoy being contract. BTW, the instructors LOVE contract recon guys...Hope you're ready for it.

Quote Originally Posted by chili77bowl View Post
    Got it...enjoy being contract. BTW, the instructors LOVE contract recon guys...Hope you're ready for it.
    Talk about having a target on your back. I've told these wanna bee recon folks before it's better to go in slow and low, but what do we know.

[QUOTE=Laskyy;864727]My recruiter said if I go Recon I am guaranteed a shot at it. If I quit or fail from Recon school, it doesn't follow me and I will still go infantry. It isn't if I am going to struggle... I know I can do it. I will do it. I just needed to know if it is humanly possible to prepare myself like this. Thank you for your post sir, I will keep an open mind.[/QUOTE
    Uhhhhh,,,"humanly possible?" Can't think of any other way. Be careful what you wish or want."

An Old Salt

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    Talk about having a target on your back. I've told these wanna bee recon folks before it's better to go in slow and low, but what do we know.

Yeah, I was an instructor at the school...but what coud I possibly know that this kid doesn't. And never mind the fact that a recruiter would NEVER sell this to a young man. What 17 year old, master of Modern Warfare 3, couldn't make possibly the hardest training that our Corps has to offer.

One day, they will pass a law that allows me to publicly ridicule the teens that insist that they know more than I do...

As I said before. Good luck kid...you're gonna need it.

Quote Originally Posted by chili77bowl View Post
    Yeah, I was an instructor at the school...but what coud I possibly know that this kid doesn't. And never mind the fact that a recruiter would NEVER sell this to a young man. What 17 year old, master of Modern Warfare 3, couldn't make possibly the hardest training that our Corps has to offer.

One day, they will pass a law that allows me to publicly ridicule the teens that insist that they know more than I do...

As I said before. Good luck kid...you're gonna need it.
    Thank you for all of your positive comments and reinforcement sir. I will make you proud.

I know a Marine currently in BRC and he said it sucks more then anything....make sure you really want before you kill somebody elses ambitions who really wants it....

Quote Originally Posted by Laskyy View Post
    Thank you for all of your positive comments and reinforcement sir. I will make you proud.

You misunderstand, you don't have to make me proud...I don't know you from Adam...

Make yourself proud, because it doesn't matter to me if you make it or not.

Thread Information