Should I try to find a model/replica rifle (or pistol) for familiarization?
Create Post

Should I try to find a model/replica rifle (or pistol) for familiarization?

I'm trying to prepare as best I can for basic, and I'm curious if there's even a product I could use to help me get familiar with the parts of an M16, or if it would even be worth it to do that or if it would be better to wait until I can get my hands on the real thing at basic. I've studied some diagrams, read through the Rifle Marksmanship Manual several times, watched a video that showed the dismantling, cleaning, and re-assembly of the rifle, but it seemed to be from the Army side so I mostly just looked at that for the motions to take apart the rifle in case it taught me a bad habit. I just want to know where parts go, how the rifle feels, try to find a good stock weld, get used to the iron sights, etc.
    I've never even held a real firearm before but I do plan on going out on the range at least a couple times to at least get used to the feeling.
    Obviously for the purpose I would prefer not to spend a lot of money, but I'm curious if there's maybe a wooden/plastic moving pieces model of either the M16 or M9 Beretta.
    And if not, would it be worth picking up a cheap airsoft in the shape of either an M16 or M9, just to get used to the shape, maybe find a stock weld, and get used to the sights?
    I have the utmost respect for and trust in the the fine folks that teach Marines to shoot, but I want to be prepared so I can have wiggle room at Basic to keep my mind open if I am struggling with a concept or activity.
    And honestly I just really enjoy learning about these kinds of things, so I'd love to get a chance to figure some of that stuff out without trying to do it in my head.

Thank you Marines for your service, your courage, and your commitment to the finest fighting force there is; and thank you friends and families for supporting your Marines! And thank you in advance for any suggestions, ideas, and advice you can give me.

First of all, there's nothing basic about Marine Corps boot camp. You want basic, that's the Army.
    Everything you will need to know about firing, and field stripping a weapon, will be taught to you by Marine Corps PMI's (Primary Marksman Instructors).

My apologies, I'd heard recruiters use "basic," I'll stick to "recruit training" if that is correct.
    I understand the role of and trust the capabilities of PMIs to carry out the needed training, I'm just curious if it is at all valuable to have some familiarity with the hardware or if it's best to just wait and put my preparation efforts towards other studies.
    Thank you for the response! I appreciate it a lot.

The other services go to basic training; we go to bootcamp.

You will spend plenty of time with your service weapon before ever sending the first round down range. Before firing week on the range you'll spend a week "snapping-in" where you'll find the spot weld on your rifle (along with the amount of pressure needed to squeeze the trigger, etc.). It would be nice to have a model to practice with now but not necessary. If you find one somewhere great but if not don't worry about it. Of the expert shooters in your platoon, some will be experienced with rifles and some will not (the advantage they have is no bad habits which may contradict what the PMI's teach).

Here's my take on it: If you learn all there is about the M16 (or whatever else), then you are going to be very board while all the other recruits are learning that day. You thoughts will drift to Jody (or whoever your girl is) or you'll be the Recruit Know-It-All who keeps trying to answer every question.

Don't worry. You'll learn all there is to know about the M16 in boot camp. Why spoil the surprise? You don't get many things to look forward to in boot camp (aside from graduation day).

Id suggest not doing any of that. Even if you do know stuff you still have to be broken down barney style. If you know stuff all that will happen is you will be made the Armory Recruit, basically you are the one who gets all the cleaning supplies out of the big gear. Thats it. Myself and a few of the recruits who slept near my rack knew stuff about firearms and own them but we still had to do it all barney style.

Also If you dont pick up a weapon you dont create your own bad habits..

98% of recruits have never fired a weapon before. You spend every freakn day with your weapon, and you break it down and clean it constantly, dont even worry about that b/s... The biggest thing that will make your life a little easier is being physically fit. Work on your PT and that will make your ****ty life a hair less ****tier.

Thread Information