Vietnam Service Medal or Armed Forces Expeditonary Medal?
Create Post

Vietnam Service Medal or Armed Forces Expeditonary Medal?

I need to know if I'm correct on this subject.The reason I'm asking,is because many years after the fact,I find out I should have been awarded the National Defense Medal,because I was in the Marine Corps from 1962-66.
    My question is,and I researched this,I should have been given the choice of the Vietnam Service Medal or Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal for my two tours with the U.S.S. Kitty Hawk,1963-64.The Kitty Hawk has a very large set of awards,and I need to know if I'm correct about the choice of awards,because I also was awarded the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal for being with 1/8 during the Dominican Republic crisis in April-May of 1965.So do I put a battle star on the AFEM,or add the Vietnam Service Medal,and the Vietnam Campaign Medal?
    Thanks for any help in advance.
    Semper Fi

Just a quick thought...

Have you sent off a request for an updated DD214 from the link on this site?
    I would think that would clear up any confusion for you.

I did about 2 years ago and was surprised to receive an email a couple months later (maybe less) with an attachment providing the updated DD214 awards.

I have 2 stars on my Vietnam Service (issued to me back then) but the updated document does not provide that sort of detail.

Hope that helps....carry on.

I would suggest ordering your DD214 as well. Long as you didnt get out and go back in and get out again. It should list all the awards you received. Wearing anything else may have you called out as a phooney if you cant prove it. If you were suppose to have an option but they just gave you what they wanted, I dont think you can go back 50 years later and say now I want to change it ,when it would not make a difference inregards to what you rate;just cause unnecessary work for the Naval Board of Corrections.

Quote Originally Posted by pocatellodave View Post
    I need to know if I'm correct on this subject.The reason I'm asking,is because many years after the fact,I find out I should have been awarded the National Defense Medal,because I was in the Marine Corps from 1962-66.
    My question is,and I researched this,I should have been given the choice of the Vietnam Service Medal or Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal for my two tours with the U.S.S. Kitty Hawk,1963-64.The Kitty Hawk has a very large set of awards,and I need to know if I'm correct about the choice of awards,because I also was awarded the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal for being with 1/8 during the Dominican Republic crisis in April-May of 1965.So do I put a battle star on the AFEM,or add the Vietnam Service Medal,and the Vietnam Campaign Medal?
    Thanks for any help in advance.
    Semper Fi
    Before you submit for an update, you might want to review the following. You can easily determine if you actually rate any of the Awards/Medals overviewed.

National Defense Service Medal
    Criteria: Awarded to anyone who serves on active duty in the United States military during a designated time period. In the fifty years since the creation of the National Defense Service Medal, it has been authorized for the following time periods:
    June 27, 1950 to July 27, 1954 for service during the Korean War
    January 1, 1961 to August 14, 1974 for service during the Vietnam War; August 2, 1990 to November 30, 1995 for service during the Gulf War; September 11, 2001 to a date yet-to-be-determined for service during the War on Terrorism.

Vietnam Service Medal
    The service medal was awarded to all members of the armed forces who service in Vietnam and contiguous waters and airspace between 3 July 1965 and 28 March 1973. In addition, personnel serving in Thailand, Laos or Cambodia in direct support of operations in Vietnam during the same time period also were eligible for the medal.

To qualify for award of the VSM an individual must meet one of the following qualifications:
    (1) Be attached to or regularly serve for 1 or more days with an organization participating in or directly supporting military operations.
    (2) Be attached to or regularly serve for 1 or more days aboard a Naval vessel directly supporting military operations.
    (3) Actually participate as a crewmember in one or more aerial flights into airspace above Vietnam and contiguous waters directly supporting military operations.
    (4) Serve on temporary duty for 30 consecutive days or 60 nonconsecutive days in Vietnam or contiguous areas, except that time limit may be waived for personnel participating in actual combat operations.

Individuals qualified for the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal for reason of service in Vietnam between I July 1958 and 3 July 1965 (inclusive) shall remain qualified for that medal. Upon request, any such individual may be awarded the VSM instead of the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal. No person will be entitled to both awards for Vietnam service.

Republic of Vietnam (RVN) Campaign Medal
    Criteria: A military award of South Vietnam established in 1966. Awarded to any member of the United States military who completed at least six months of duty in the Republic of Vietnam between the dates of March 1, 1961 and March 28, 1973. The decoration may also be awarded to any service member who, while serving outside the geographical limits of South Vietnam, provided direct combat support to the Republic of Vietnam Armed Forces for a period exceeding six months. In such cases, a service member must have been awarded either the Vietnam Service Medal or the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal (for service in a Vietnam campaign) to be eligible. For those U.S. service members who were wounded by an enemy force, captured by the enemy in the line of duty, or killed in action, the Vietnam Campaign Medal is automatically awarded regardless of total time served in Vietnam. The Vietnam Campaign Medal is issued with a device known as the “1960 Bar”. The bar displays the date of 1960 followed by a dash and a blank space.

Additionally – there are always questions about anyone actually rating the CAR (Combat Action Ribbon).

Combat Action Ribbon (USMC)
    The Combat Action Ribbon of the Navy and Marine Corps was instituted in 1969. Awarded for active participation in ground or air combat during specifically listed military operations.
    NOTE: this is the only Navy personal decoration that has no associated medal.

Eligibility Requirements
    Awarded to members of the Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard (when the Coast Guard or units thereof operate under the control of the Navy) in the grade of captain/colonel and junior thereto, who have actively participated in ground or surface combat.

The principal eligibility criterion is that the individual must have participated in a bona fide ground or surface combat fire fight or action during which he was under enemy fire and his performance while under fire was satisfactory.

The following amplifying remarks are furnished as guidance.
    Personnel in riverine and coastal operations, assaults, patrols, sweeps, ambushes, convoys, amphibious landings, and similar activities who have participated in fire fights are eligible.

Personnel assigned to areas subjected to sustained mortar, missile, and artillery attacks actively participate in retaliatory or offensive actions are eligible.

Personnel in clandestine or special operations such as reconnaissance and SEAL teams are eligible when the risk of enemy fire was great and was expected to be encountered.

Personnel aboard a ship are eligible when the safety of the ship and the crew were endangered by enemy attack, such as a ship hit by a mine or a ship engaged by shore, surface, air or subsurface elements.

Personnel eligible for the award of the Purple Heart would not necessarily qualify for the Combat Action Ribbon

The Combat Action Ribbon will not be awarded to personnel for aerial combat since the Strike/Flight Air Medal provides recognition for aerial combat exposure; however, a pilot or crewmember forced to escape or evade after being forced down could be eligible for the award.

Eligible Dates and Ship Operations.
    An individual, whose eligibility has been established in combat (based on the above criteria) in any of the following listed operations, is authorized the award of the Combat Action Ribbon. Only one award per operation is authorized. Subsequent awards will be indicated by the use of a Gold Star on the ribbon:

The following dates are based on your dates of service.
    Southeast Asia. From 1 March 1961 to 15 August 1973.

Dominican Republic. From 28 April 1965 to 21 September 1966.
    (No ships qualified)

USS LIBERTY (AGTR 5). 8 and 9 June 1967.
    USS PUEBLO (AGER 2). 23 January 1968.

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt of Marines View Post
    I would suggest ordering your DD214 as well. Long as you didnt get out and go back in and get out again. It should list all the awards you received. Wearing anything else may have you called out as a phooney if you cant prove it. If you were suppose to have an option but they just gave you what they wanted, I dont think you can go back 50 years later and say now I want to change it ,when it would not make a difference inregards to what you rate;just cause unnecessary work for the Naval Board of Corrections.
    The awards decisions weren't in place when I was discharged.It plainly states that I should have been awarded the National Defense Medal,and it wasn't on my DD 214.I was told by someone one this forum that I rated it because I was in the U.S.M.C. during the required time period.The same goes for the Vietnam Service Medal and the Vietnam Campaign Medal.I inquired clear back about 1974,and I was told the Records had been lost in a fire at St.Louis.They sent me a U.S.M.C. Good Conduct Medal and an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal.'In my mind if I have to go back 75 years I will,as the Military has made mistakes and given the proper awards to people that had them coming to them clear back to heck knows when!I've done the research,and everything I read tells me I'm right and the system has missed it.
    Semper Fi

Looks like someone lied to you about destroyed records,reports say no Navy or Marine Corps records were destroyed in that fire.

http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online...destroyed.html

Thank you for that information.I think I will just let this one go,as it's no big thing.I know where I was and what I did,and that's good enough for me!
    Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Write St.Louis and get an Updated DD215,Chit on My original DD214 The Knuckleheads at H&S Co when I mustered out had One Ribbon on mine a Purple Heart W/3 Stars,Yeah I got shot in The Battle of Meade River but was hit only 3 times in tha same Day,so Honestly I only rate 1 Purple Heart.Actually never really wanted That John Wayne Medal anywho!!!Semper Fi and good Luck

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Oh forgot too add when I got my updated DD215,I had enough Fruit Salad on My Chest that it would take a F**King Cherry Picker to Hold My Handsome Ass Upright,so I should have let it B-so Peeps could F**k with Me with My John Wayne Medal...Remember Medals do not Feed The BullDog

Thread Information