If your married.....
Create Post

If your married.....

Hey Marines. I have had this question in my head for a while and I can never find a straight answer, if your married at what point after boot camp is your family given the option to move out with you whether on base or off base ? That and another question if you had to advise anyone one when's the best time to get married if your joining before or after boot ?

Thanks Marines

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shipley View Post
    I can never find a straight answer,

question: if you had to advise anyone
    when's the best time to get married

Thanks Marines
    Believe it or not, Shipley.

The MarineCorps
    "Doesn't Issue Spouses"
    (Notice the Gender Neutral title for wife or husband)

You may not want to hear this, or even want to believe it either.
    But as an OLD MARINE,, Can honestly reply that the best time to
    consider "Taking a Spouse" as a U S Marine, is sometime after the
    end of your FIRST ENLISTMENT.

Having a spouse while being a New Marine, usually isn't a benifit,
    probibly more of a cause of conflict with the Corps.

Don't take my word for it.
    Ask around.

Once you get settled into your first unit in the fleet then you will be offered base housing, if available, or off base housing. There are some variables there, it's not always black and white like that, but that's a rough timetable.

As far as getting married, like the Marine before me said, I would wait. Keep your head screwed on tight until you get settled in "your" life - you are signing the contract not her. The Marine Corps divorce rate is off the charts, especially for junior Marines. Don't be a statistic.

While it's true you can be a Marine and a husband, it ain't easy -- and you won't understand that until you get in and feel the fleet tempo. As a junior Marine you might live "off-base", but you are going to be "living" on base with your fellow Marines. From 0600 till sometimes 1900 - 2000. Early days and long nights away from your wife.

So, she's got a lot of time on her hands. And you do not.

Listen to the advice that is out there. For every one Marine that says go for it, there will be five to ten times as many that say wait.

Good luck.

I was lucky, my First wife was a Marine, so we both understood what was going on,,(she passed away that is why we are not still together if you are wondering) but for a non Marine spouse, it is hard for them to understand that the Corps come first,, some will say they understand but when it comes right down to it,, most do not,,, so it does take a very special person to be the spouse of a Military Person,, specially a Marine,,, some spouses, like a master gunny i know,, his wife love it,, she love the idea of seeing,(when she could go with him) new places, and meeting new friends and organizing woman of jarhead groups (as she call it),,,but she is a rarity,,

Thanks Marines. I appreciate all your answers and any ther advice would be grateful as well

I joined in 1984, married in 1987, still married.. God bless that women!

Got married 10 days before boot camp and she's still with me after 31 years. I was able to take her with me most of the time, but not over seas both times, lived on base on off at different times.It was hard at times but WE both worked on our relationship.Your both going to get out of it what YOU both put in to it.

Credits
    Savings
    "You think being a Marine is tough, Try being a Marine Wife" the wording on one of my wife's shirts. As for getting married wait till after your 1st enlistment or you make E 5.

Last edited by Rich1161; 06-16-12 at 04:54 AM. Reason: add word

Well, like most of the advice here, I waited till I was a Sgt to get married. We eventually moved into base housing (Camp Pendleton). Shortly after, I got orders to Okinawa Japan for a year. The wife could not go with me so she stayed in our housing unit. After about six months, Jodie started coming around and they eventually got serious with one another so I ended up a statistic (divorced). Moral of that story is waiting is no gaurantee of anything. If your marriage is meant to be it will survive all the hardships; if not, it won't...simple.

TOP is right,if it's meant to be it will be.. But will take BOTH of of you guys to work towards it. At lest for US that's what WE do, even after 30 years...

TOP what are you doing up so early on a SUNDAY morning...LOL.

I like tops response as well. Thanks Marines any further advice will always be greatful

Quote Originally Posted by Shipley View Post
    I like tops response as well. Thanks Marines any further advice will always be greatful
    IMO...and I'm not an optimist in these matters so label me as you will.

Don't get married (and more importantly don't get a bun in the oven) until after 1st deployment or 1st enlistment period.
    If it's meant to be she will wait...if not....you saved yourself a large measure personal and financial grief.
    You will both be going through many changes/attitudes during these times anyway.
    Young people are 'in lust'....not 'in love' (for lack of better contemporary definitions) so don't confuse the two.
    Having a wife at this juncture will be a distraction from your matrimony to completing your training a being a focused Marine.
    Keep your independence in life for now.

That's my take on it......good luck with your choice.

Carry on....

Thread Information