Hair regulations
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hair regulations

Some friends and I were arguing about hair regs and I was hoping some of you could shed some light on the subject.

Is there a minimum width hair has to be on the top of the head? The reason we were wondering is he thinks you can cut it like a mohawk and still be in regs. He heard something about 3 fingers wide, but I've never heard anything about that so I was wondering.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Mohawk??? WTF! That is waaay out of regs!! In my eyes at least. it's eccentric. Check out the below website which should answer your questions.

http://www.marines.mil/units/mciwest...tentAUG15.aspx

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    This is like beating a dead horse but here goes. The regulation says zero to 3 graduated. The rules have been slightly modifyed recently to allow you to completely shave your head if so desired. Anything outside of those regs will get you a good long talk from the 1st Sgt and a p. 11 for ecentric grooming standards. Don't mess with it and wear a professional haircut. You might slide by with a horseshoe but not a mohawk. The end

my SgtMaj gave a Lcpl a P.11 for a horseshoe...so i wouldnt go there either....his reason was because it was eccentric....and i agree...

The argument my friend was trying to make was that you could have a high and tight so high that it was basically a mohawk. Thats why I was wondering about there being a minimum amount of hair on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Littledrumerboy View Post
    The argument my friend was trying to make was that you could have a high and tight so high that it was basically a mohawk. Thats why I was wondering about there being a minimum amount of hair on top.
    That would be considered eccentric.
    Unless its like a unit wide moto thing, and sanctioned by the unit command.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    This is like beating a dead horse but here goes. The regulation says zero to 3 graduated. The rules have been slightly modifyed recently to allow you to completely shave your head if so desired. Anything outside of those regs will get you a good long talk from the 1st Sgt and a p. 11 for ecentric grooming standards. Don't mess with it and wear a professional haircut. You might slide by with a horseshoe but not a mohawk. The end
    Don't forget the 3 inches in bulk on the top.
    I interpreted that very literally.
    My former Drill Instructor PltSgt didn't appreciate that.

I've seen DIs have haircuts like that. So one day as a Lance Corporal, I had a high high and tight like a mohawk.

I was walking around and some SGT was like WTF, unfcvk your hair right now. And I did.

lol...0-3 evenly graduated..3 on top

just do a reverse horseshoe, they will stand in awe

I used to wear a 0 to 0 with a fade, looked just like I shaved my head ...

Horseshoes aren't in regs anymore? It probably depends on the command, right? I had a buddy who wanted a horseshoe so another Marine cut his hair while we were on ship. It was the worst horseshoe I had ever seen. The thing looked like a rectangle with three sides on his head, no fading or anything. One of the Sergeants came down, freaked out, and made him shave it. I have a picture somewhere.

I think a horseshoe can only be pulled off by a handful of Marines, the rest shouldn't even attempt one.

I thought this would be about how long you can get your hair and get away with it.

But I forgot, this is leatherneck. And its just the opposite.

Horseshoes and Mohawks

This is directly from MCO p1020.34G W/Ch1-4 (Marine Corps Uniform Regulations.)
    Chapter 1, Section 1004, Personal Appearance.

>Ch 5 (b) Hair Style. Head hair will be styled so as not to
    interfere with the proper wear of uniform headgear. Hair, which protrudes
    from beneath properly worn headgear in an unsightly manner, is considered
    excessive, regardless of length. Male hair styles will conform to the natural
    shape of the head without eccentric directional flow, twists or spiking. One
    (cut, clipped or shaved) natural, narrow, fore and aft off centered part
    (placed no further than the outer corner of the eye and will not extend down
    the back of the head) is authorized. The following hair style types are
    considered eccentric and are not authorized (this list is not all inclusive)
    :
    (1) hair styling which include single patches of hair on the top of the head
    (not consistent with natural hair loss); (2) hair styled to run as a strip
    down the center of the scalp (i.e. “Mohawk” fashion)
    ; (3) hair styled to
    leave an unusually large open (bald) area on the top of the head (not
    consistent with natural hair loss); and (4) hair styles which include the
    etching of letters, signs or figures, not considered natural in appearance.
    Braiding of the hair is not authorized for male Marines. When used, hair
    gel/mousse should provide a conservative, natural appearance. (See figures
    1-1 through 1-2) MARADMIN 504/07

Horseshoes are gay.

So is putting product in your hair.

Thread Information