25 miler at Parris Island?
Create Post

25 miler at Parris Island?

Marines!
    I went to Parris Island in 1978. We did not do a 25 mile hump. Whom among you did one? What year did it start?
    Semper Fi,
    Eric

I don't recall doing anything more than 10 or maybe 15 at PI in the early 90's.

Didn't do a 25 miler until I hit the fleet with 1/3 when we did a MCREST.

I'm not sure they have time to build up to that long of a hump in boot camp. But, I'm just guessing.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    It's newer then 2008 if they're doing it now. I think the longest we did was 12 miles or something around it.

Back in '75, we humped what may have SEEMED like 25 miles, but I don't think recruits are seasoned enough for a 25 mile force march. Just my opinion. And a haphazzard hope, since my great-nephew just reported last Monday! But what is this 'crucible'? 54 hours without sleep? Sounds like our first few days on P.I......does it have a name now? I thought it was just part of the plan.

The Crucible started during the time I was in. It's at the tail end of Boot Camp. So I'm assuming they get no sleep the first couple of days at BC and no sleep at the end.

Marine Family Free Member Marinemom32's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by bodidly58 View Post
    Back in '75, we humped what may have SEEMED like 25 miles, but I don't think recruits are seasoned enough for a 25 mile force march. Just my opinion. And a haphazzard hope, since my great-nephew just reported last Monday! But what is this 'crucible'? 54 hours without sleep? Sounds like our first few days on P.I......does it have a name now? I thought it was just part of the plan.
    They get four hours of sleep a night, if that, and they get I think 3 MRE's to eat. It is the final test before they get the EGA. My son did his during Hurricane Irene last year. He actaully said it was his favorite part of boot

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    The MCCRES started in 1983 to test the Combat effectiveness of Marine Units both regular and reserve..

The Marine Corps Combat Readiness Evaluation System (MCCRES) was designed to provide timely and accurate information concerning the ability of active and reserve forces to perform assigned combat missions.

To provide this information, units are subjected to simulated combat problems. Their performance is observed, evaluated, and reported by evaluators from within the Marine Corps. These evaluators are key to the collection of valid evaluation data. If the evaluator is not effective, then the MCCRES, as an evaluation system, is ultimately ineffective in determining a unit's 'combat readiness'.

The 25 mile hump includes full gear and all related crew serves within a Battalion to move from point "A" to "B" within 8 hours or less..

This is not doen at Recruit Training..

In boot they do the Crucible..

The Crucible is a test every recruit must go through to become a Marine.

It tests every recruit physically, mentally and morally and is the defining moment in recruit training.

The Crucible takes place over 54-hours and includes food and sleep deprivation and over 45 miles of marching.

The entire Crucible event pits teams of recruits against a barrage of day and night events requiring every recruit to work together to solve problems, overcome obstacles and help each other along the way.

The obstacles they face range from long marches, combat assault courses, the leadership reaction course, and the team-building warrior stations.

Each Warrior Station is named for a Marine hero whose actions epitomize the values the USMC wants recruits to adopt.

Bottom line -- The Crucible is a rite of passage that, through shared sacrifice, recruits will never forget.

With that memory and their core values learned in recruit training, they can draw upon the experience to face any challenge in their path.

Recruits don't do a 25mile hike. The crucible is might come close to the 45 mentioned by foxtrot oscar, considering you hump to the staging area, hump to every event ( they make sure the events aren't next to each other). Also yup 54 hours no sleep. For MarineMom glad your son was able to sleep. Man our DIs put us in a huddle and we cleaned our wpns for hours. It was so cold and miserable. Then we had 2mres field stripped. I remember we were told "chow is continous" and as soon as we stepped our DIs told us to put everything away. I ate 1 main course, 2 crackers, and apple jelly in those 54 hours. But half way through we got chicken broth and an apple. You're dang skippy i ate the whole thing including seeds! So probably about 1000 calories in 2 days, because as soon as youre done you are a Marine and get a buffet of amazing goodies. I had an amazing time and it was very challenging. One of my proudest moments (days you know what I mean). I went in '09 so not much has changed.

Thanks, this is a good answer. I meet a former Corpsman, who served at Parris Island in the mid 1980's. I never meet anyone who did 25 miles there. In the fleet, it's another matter.
    Semper Fi,
    Eric

Tookie is right....theres no 25 miler just 45-50 miles marched/walked/ran in 54 hrs.

SMH that chicken broth was like roman noodle water man.....I drunk canteen cups full of that stuff.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If I remember correctly, the hike to Elliots beach was around 22 miles with full gear. That was '69.

Elliots Beach! I haven't even thought about that in years! LOL!

Thread Information