Insight from Marines who've been stationed at Lejuene or Pendleton
Create Post

Insight from Marines who've been stationed at Lejuene or Pendleton

I'm scheduled to leave February 25, 2013 for boot camp and will be going either infantry or MP, still deciding which one, but I'm also wanting some information on where I'd prefer to be stationed. I know I'll end up where the Corps needs me most but I'd like to know where I'd prefer to be stationed when I put in my request. I live 2 hours from Lejuene which would keep me close to family and friends but Pendleton would allow me to have a change of scenery and new experiences. Any input on the barracks, life on base, things to do in the surrounding areas, and overall experiences would be greatly appreciated.

It all depend son your unit... however LeJeune has it's ups and downs. I have been there for a year now, and it's not my favorite place thus far. The base traffic is bad, the barracks are mostly run down.

I havn't been stationed on Pendlteon before, but I hear people prefer it, and I am requesting ot go there after my time w/ ANGLICO is done.

Credits
    Savings
    2 hours from home? Wow I would have loved that when I was in !
    I was at Pendleton for most of my enlistment, ya just can't beat the area around the base for things to do and see.
    A lot of bus ridin though ! if ya don't have a car.

Well I'm a grunt and I went through SOI (ITB) 2 years ago. They didnt give anyone the opportunity to "put in" for a duty station. Everyone was told where to go and everyone from my WPNS PLT went to Hawaii... Didn't even get to go to graduation, everyone was rushed right to the airport from Lejuene. Also while i was at Lejuene it gets old fast, wilmington was decent.

Lejeune sucks. The baracks are run down, BUT they are building new ones. Traffic is horrible but they were fixing the main gate. JVille isn't too bad if you know where to go. Wilmington is alright. I prefer Raleigh, Durham, and Greenville. Also the outer banks and the whole east coast. You're a local so you know where to go. Baracks life depending on which unit you go to. French Creek is nice. Hadnot point is drunk about 75% during off time. It's hot and humid but you're used to it. Honeslty though if you can put up with the above mentioned it's not that bad. Haven't been to pendleton except for bootcamp and mct so really can't tell you about it. 29 Palms though honestly a good place. If you have a car you are one small roadtrip from Vegas, LA, San Diego, Lake Havasu (huge for spring break), and Big Bear (Snow boarding). Less traffic and the barracks are newer and nicer. Depends on what you are really looking for.

Was stationed at both during various times of my career (along with numerous other places). I prefer Camp Pendleton over Camp LeJeune because of the climate, liberty, and overall lifestyle. Cost of living is a lot more expensive in Southern California obviously. Traveling back to the east coast on leave to visit your family would also be expensive. Pros and cons for each location.

Jacksonville is but so much. One street with a bunchs of stores/mall on it and after that its nothing. I've heard good things about being on the west verses the east. It really doesnt matter what you put down on that "dream list" because my whole class was sent to Lejuene but the class that just graduated was split up and most of them went to Hawaii.

As my instructors would say, "You joined the Marine Corps to stay home? You shouldve just went National Guard son......Get away from mommas tittie and go see something besides where you were raised."

You're not going to have any say so on where you go for your first duty station, especially if you're infantry. Lejuene is where I'm currently stationed... It's not too great here except that it has a few beaches near by. I'm also infantry and I can tell you to think hard before you join.... It's a completely different lifestyle than any other MOS and you need to get that through your head before you sign a contract. Make sure you're 100% committed to the idea that you're going to be going through the roughest times of your life for the first year or so of your career. I love doing what I do, don't get me wrong, but make sure it's what you want to do. I'm tired of hearing other Marines say how they wish they didn't join.. it just brings down the moral of the unit. Think twice and best of luck with getting stationed in Lejeune if it's what you truly want.

Tell the other bootlets it gets better after your first pump. Also Im a POG but ya grunt life sucks. But when you look back at it all you can do is laugh and say stup*d Sh*tabout what you've been through.

It all depends what you like. Coming from NC, California might be culture shock. It was for me. I preferred Lejeune over CP. About the barracks being run-down on Lejeune, they’re just as bad at CP. If you want good barracks, go to Okinawa.

That all being said, you have absolutely no choice. The number one thing you can do for the entire time you’re in is expect the worst and hope for the best.

Thread Information