Advice for a girl?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Advice for a girl?

Hi all, this is my first post as I just happened to stumble onto this site and I am looking for advice on how to make the choice to join the marines or not. Since I was little girl I dreamed of being a marine, the honor and the pride that go with it. When I was 17 I started talking to a recruiter and I even switched schools to join. But later on that year I began smoking weed and got a new boyfriend and completely gave up that dream to go to college and do the same ol' same ol' as everyone else. Lately I have been obsessing on the military visiting the sites, and reading the news following whats been going on and I feel more attracted to the Corps than ever. I get goosebumps when I drive by the billboards and I just feel like it will give me the confidence I need to build the future I want. I dont want to smoke anymore, I want to be a Marine. What should I do now?

how long have you been clean, and away from it all,,,and have you spoken to a recruiter lately?

oh and better finish filling out your profile or the thread will get closed by a squad leader,, site rules,,

Credits
    Savings
    about a month now. I plan on leaving my boyfriend within the week so I have nothing holding me back. And no I havent spoken to a recruiter lately, I feel nervous about going to the recruiter because I thinkits the same guy there as before and I am embarresed to tell him why I stop talking to him. I guess I should get over that though.

yes that would be a good idea,, and if you tell him about the pot,, tell him you would like to ask him a question off the record and the talk to him about it,,at least that is the way i would approach it,, then he or she can advise you on what to do and how to answer questions on the application,,

Katy Perry did it, you can be a Marine as well. Obviously you'll need to pass the drug test at MEPS. Same recruiter? Not sure how old you are since your profile sucks but they cycle out every 2-3 yrs or so. Regardless woman up tell him you f*cked up and that bud was too good to pass up, but you're older and realize what's actually important. He might accept you. Just be real and you should be fine. You've spoken to a recruiter before you know just about what you need to know to enlist. Do you have any real specific questions?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by irpat54 View Post
    how long have you been clean, and away from it all,,,and have you spoken to a recruiter lately?

oh and better finish filling out your profile or the thread will get closed by a squad leader,, site rules,,
    Corecto mundo

Please completely fill out your profile with more than just a name before posting.
    Site Rules.
    Thread Closed.
    Contact any Squad Leader to reopen thread when profile is completely filled out.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Profile filled out.
    THREAD REOPENED

Credits
    Savings
    So I should tell the recruiter? I know I made some mistakes, I dont want it ruining my chances. I honestly feel like the Marines is my calling and I just dont want the STUPID choices of my past ruining it.

There is no such thing as talking to a recruiter "off the record". Once they know, they know. And, never lie about anything. If you do, and the truth comes out later (as in a background investigation where people you know or are related to are interviewed), you potentially could be looking at being discharged for fraudulant enlistment. Our core values are "honor, courage, and committment". The honorable thing to do is always be truthful regardless of the consequences.

Talk to your recruiter again. If you are qualified, they will process you.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by EmilyJean View Post
    I feel nervous about going to the recruiter because I thinkits the same guy there as before.
    We went to bootcamp and earned the title "Marine". Please don't refer to us as just "guys".

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    We went to bootcamp and earned the title "Marine". Please don't refer to us as just "guys".
    ... Really? Top, I hope you realize that this type of attitude gives the members of this board a bad name. There is no need to correct a civilian female about refering to an ambiguous Recruiter as a "guy". It's a perfectly acceptable adjective.

To the "chick" who openned this thread. Take a second, chill out, and realize that your past is your past. As long as nothing is on record, don't say anything. If it IS the same Recruiter, he may not remmeber you, or if he does, who cares? He will be happy to fill his quota.

Just be honest and legit. "I had my own stuff going on at the time." That's all that need be said.

Don't sweat it, and think carefully if this is what you want. There are ups, and downs. Don't take a commercial to heart.

Last edited by MintusMaximus; 06-11-12 at 06:45 AM. Reason: bad spelling because i'm a turd.

I really don't care how civilians feel about my attitude or this site. This is our site and they are guests here. If they don't feel welcome they are free to visit somewhere else...simple. If she is so thinned-skin she can't take such minor corrective action she will have a difficult time adjusting to life in the USMC. Afterall, I did say please so as not to hurt her feelings. I never referred to my Marines as guys. That adjective may be acceptable to you guy but it's not for all of us and I'll bet some of your junior Marines resent you calling them that (I would). Of course, it is a kindler gentler Corps than when I was in so maybe earning the title does not mean what it used to...sad.

On another note; think it may be possible she does not appreciate being called a "chick" or is that just another one of your perfectly acceptable adjectives for young ladies? You're a pretty hip and laid back dude for a Sergeant of Marines (at least on the internet).

Alright so back to the question. Being honest is well honestly up to you. But do you really want to lie about smoking weed? its a pretty simple waiver depending on how many times you have smoked. "Most" people have only smoked marijuana 1-3 times for experimental use... seriously what the waiver says. Its a RS level waiver that a Capt. can sign off on. I haven't seen anyone get denied for weed yet. My buddy was the biggest pothead and he is doing alright. Trust me, it is really simple to enlist. Like everyone here said already. Go ahead talk to your recruiter and get the most up to date information. If you are eager enough or show your dedication there shouldn't be a reason why a recruiter wouldn't work with you. Also just ignore the old salts they get cranky without their afternoon nap .

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    I really don't care how civilians feel about my attitude or this site. This is our site and they are guests here. If they don't feel welcome they are free to visit somewhere else...simple. If she is so thinned-skin she can't take such minor corrective action she will have a difficult time adjusting to life in the USMC. Afterall, I did say please so as not to hurt her feelings. I never referred to my Marines as guys. That adjective may be acceptable to you guy but it's not for all of us and I'll bet some of your junior Marines resent you calling them that (I would). Of course, it is a kindler gentler Corps than when I was in so maybe earning the title does not mean what it used to...sad.

On another note; think it may be possible she does not appreciate being called a "chick" or is that just another one of your perfectly acceptable adjectives for young ladies? You're a pretty hip and laid back dude for a Sergeant of Marines (at least on the internet).
    True as to the former... however; even a PFC, Lance Cookie or Cpl would balk at a MSgt. lol

Haha if she can't handle being called a chick; being called a "Wook" is gonna make her cut herself.

Also you'll notice I was pointing it out...so that IF she took offense she would then understand YOUR offense at being called a 'guy'. Instead of as you know the typical; "Damn, Top is a dick."

Thank you Master Sergeant, I am fairly laid back. I'm in Afganistan w/ ANGLICO, I have a Great Mission, Great Marines, Great Peers, and some time to kill on Camp LNK. Why should I be disgruntled? Life is great.

PS: Keep calm, and chive on. <--- words to live by.

Thread Information